Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default European House Wire Colors

A diagram for a Bosch sander I have shows a brown (braun) and a blue (blau)
wire from the cord. It shows which goes where to the switch. The existing
cord is a US cord with, of course, a black and a white. I had to get a new
switch and did not note which went where on the old switch.

Checking the new swith input and output terminals I found which is neutral
(US the white wire) because this is always on regardless of switch
position. This has to be for the white wire since the golden rule is white
wire never gets interupted by a device.

So, from the diagram it seems that European (German anyway) that brown is
hot and blue is neutral. Anyone really confirm this?