Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin Grant Erwin is offline

Default Bench grinder recommendation

Ron Corpulent wrote:

I have a 6" bench grinder, and I want to start grinding my own
lathe bits on it (1/4" HSS).

The wheels on it are too coarse, and the tool rests are cheap
stamped aluminum. Should I just get a better wheel, or does
someone sell a bench grinder that already has fine grit wheels
for this kind of work as well as a decent tool rest?

You need to do a little googling on grinding. Regular grinding wheels
that come with bench grinders are not particularly suited to grinding
HSS tooling - the wheels are much too hard. The harder the material,
the softer the grinding wheel and vise versa.

I bought a couple of surface grinding wheels and made a 1-1/4 to 5/8"
bushing on the lathe. I think they were I hardness, or maybe J.

Grant