Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bench grinder recommendation

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:41:36 -0600, Ignoramus21499
wrote:

I am selling a 1/2 HP Rockwell grinder, 115v, on a standalone stand,
with beautiful, thick heavy duty tool rests, eye protection, lighted
with ligts in those eye protection shields, etc. One shield's glass is
cracked. The price is $150. Actually there are four tool rests
included. I am in N. Illinois.

I would not personally use those cheap grinders. For myself, I have a
1/2 HP Baldor.

I have a KO Lee.

Gunner

On 2008-02-14, Ron Corpulent wrote:
I have a 6" bench grinder, and I want to start grinding my own
lathe bits on it (1/4" HSS).

The wheels on it are too coarse, and the tool rests are cheap
stamped aluminum. Should I just get a better wheel, or does
someone sell a bench grinder that already has fine grit wheels
for this kind of work as well as a decent tool rest?

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ron Corpulent wrote:

Should I just get a better wheel, ...

That's how you should start. A grid 80 or 60 white wheel. Next is a dressing
diamond and/or a dressing stone.
You don't need a tool rest.

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ron Corpulent wrote:

I have a 6" bench grinder, and I want to start grinding my own
lathe bits on it (1/4" HSS).

The wheels on it are too coarse, and the tool rests are cheap
stamped aluminum. Should I just get a better wheel, or does
someone sell a bench grinder that already has fine grit wheels
for this kind of work as well as a decent tool rest?

You need to do a little googling on grinding. Regular grinding wheels
that come with bench grinders are not particularly suited to grinding
HSS tooling - the wheels are much too hard. The harder the material,
the softer the grinding wheel and vise versa.

I bought a couple of surface grinding wheels and made a 1-1/4 to 5/8"
bushing on the lathe. I think they were I hardness, or maybe J.

Grant

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:05:29 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ron
Corpulent" quickly quoth:

I have a 6" bench grinder, and I want to start grinding my own
lathe bits on it (1/4" HSS).

The wheels on it are too coarse, and the tool rests are cheap
stamped aluminum. Should I just get a better wheel, or does
someone sell a bench grinder that already has fine grit wheels
for this kind of work as well as a decent tool rest?

You need to fluorescently leach or eddie 3 squawking geese, Bat.

--

SALMON -- The Other Pink Meat