Posted to alt.home.repair
Al D[_2_] Al D[_2_] is offline

Default Bus Bars (electrical)

Thanks Doug. I appreciate your advice.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Al D"
wrote:
In the main service panel there are 2 bus bars ( neutral and ground ). I
don't have any screw holes left to add an additional branch circuit to a
detached subpanel located 60' away from the main. Can I:
1. Add an additional bus bar to the main
panel and if so, how do I connect it to the old bus bar(s)? or

Yes. Connect it mechanically to the panel chassis, then add a bonding
jumper
(#6 or #8 copper) to one of the existing bars. Move a ground wire from the
existing bar to the new bar to make room for the jumper.
2. Replace the entire full bus bar with a
new longer one, or

You can, but it's an awful lot of work for no benefit.

3. Neither of the above 2 can be done at
all???? If this is so, what can I do to solve this problem?

See above.

In the subpanel, the bus bar that is away from the breaker panel itself
that
I added to the subpanel box, does that bus bar become the ground bar or
the
neutral bar? I think it's the ground bar because it IS separate from the
rest ( not bonded ). Is this the right thinking on that?

No. That's the neutral bar, because it's separate from the rest and not
bonded.

Ground and neutral are required to be bonded together in the main panel.
They
are *prohibited* from being bonded together anywhere else. Hence, in your
subpanel, the bar that is bonded to the panel is the ground bar, and the
one
that is not bonded is the neutral bar.

--
Regards,