Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jusme[_2_] jusme[_2_] is offline

Default Gear/steering pumps

Well, guys, I just want to empty 55 gallon barrels of oil as soon as
possible cheaply.

I want to build up 2 to 4 of these things.
Oil will be dirty. Actually, it is wvo.

Thanks

j/b

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
You say "pumping oil", as opposed to "putting oil under pressure".
It would make a big difference it you comment on the pressure you NEED
and the flow in gpm that you want. Also, is the oil clean or not? I
don't think power steering pumps like dirty oil. Are you "building up"
several separate systems or do you want several pumps just to get to some
particular volume?
IIRC, many power steering pumps only deliver somewhere in the range of
2-4 gpm, but at 1000 psi or more.

Pete Stanaitis

jusme wrote:
I want to build up several gear pumps for pumping oil. I figure that
getting steering pumps from an auto junk yard will be the cheapest route.

I wonder what vehicle may have the highest flow pump. Should I just
consider that the larger the vehicle, the faster the flow rate?

Thanks

j/b