Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Very Noisy Disposal ... Fixable?

On Feb 13, 12:33*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

On Feb 13, 9:34 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Art Todesco" wrote in message

t...

HeyBub wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:
I have an Insinkerator disposal that
works well, however, it is very noisy.
It wasn't that way when it was new.
And, strangely, it sometimes (very
infrequently) get quiet. I've never
taken one of these apart. Is this something
that might be fixable?

Ignore the sound.

Eventually whatever is in the disposer's innards that's making the
racket
will get ground up and the disposal will return to silent operation.
Ain't gonna happen .... it's been many years.

To answer your original question, it's fixable **IF** you can get the
parts,
and **IF** you can install them yourself. Your next move would be to
contact
the manufacturer about parts availability.

I've yet to see a disposal that was meant to be taken apart and have
parts replaced. * Even if it's theoretically possible, I sure wouldn't
waste the time trying to do it. * How about after you screw around,
take it apart, pay $$$ for parts, put it back together, re-install it,
it either still makes noise or maybe now leaks?

I can see replacing the gasket that attaches to the sink, or the side
discharge connect for a dishwasher. *But as far as taking the unit
itself apart, fuggeda bout it! *For $130 you can get a decent new one.

I've installed them, but I've never held them in my hand and wondered
"Hmm...how does this come apart?"

Have you?- Hide quoted text -

You're the guy who said they can be fixed and repaired with new parts.