Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Very Noisy Disposal ... Fixable?

I have an Insinkerator disposal that
works well, however, it is very noisy.
It wasn't that way when it was new.
And, strangely, it sometimes (very
infrequently) get quiet. I've never
taken one of these apart. Is this something
that might be fixable?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
I have an Insinkerator disposal that works well, however, it is very noisy.
It wasn't that way when it was new. And, strangely, it sometimes (very
infrequently) get quiet. I've never taken one of these apart. Is this
something
that might be fixable?

Below is a copy of some of my brilliant advice on the same subject in
another thread. You can substitute "piece of bone" or your choice other
words for "spoon or fork":

There's probably a spoon or fork in the disposal. Someone dropped it in,
turned on the disposal, and when it made a horrible noise, they adopted the
"I don't know nuthin' and I ain't talkin'" routine. Replacing it without
first trying to clear the obstruction is ridiculous. Someone in the house
might drop something into the brand new one the day after you install it.
Then what? Buy another new one??? Don't do that. Use the money you save to
buy tools and beer.

Sharpen your best kitchen knife and place it on the counter where you can
reach it. Tell everyone in the house to stay away from the disposal switch.
Better yet, tell them to stay out of the kitchen. If anyone disobeys, wave
the knife at them like a madman. This is how it's done. You could also turn
off the circuit breaker, but it's much more interesting to create a sense of
danger so you're a bigger hero after you fix the disposal.

The disposal doesn't have sharp blades inside. It's got these things they
call "hammers" mounted on the bottom surface near the outer edge. First,
peek in with a flashlight to see if you can spot the debris. A dental mirror
would help, and you should have at least 3 different shapes & sizes in your
toolbox anyway, so here's an excuse to buy more tools. Then, stick your hand
in there carefully and feel around. The bottom surface is supposed to spin
like a carousel. You might be able to dislodge it if you remove whatever
piece of metal is wedged between a hammer and the side of the housing. The
debris itself might be sharp if it's been chewed up, so be careful.

Look at the bottom (outside) of the disposal and you'll see a socket for a
hex wrench. That's there so you can use a wrench to turn the inner part
backward and dislodge debris. It doesn't have to be the wrench that came
with the disposal, which is probably nowhere to be found anyway. Any hex
wrench of the proper size will work. If you don't have a set of hex
wrenches, here's yet another excuse to buy more tools. That's always a good
thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 11, 12:53*pm, Art Todesco wrote:
I have an Insinkerator disposal that
works well, however, it is very noisy.
It wasn't that way when it was new.
And, strangely, it sometimes (very
infrequently) get quiet. *I've never
taken one of these apart. *Is this something
that might be fixable?

As long as we are posting brilliant advice from previous discussions,
here is something that I posted a few weeks ago that seems to fit your
exact situation of "sometimes noisy - sometimes quiet."

I got kids. Kids (at least mine) sometimes put things in the sink
that belong in the garbage. One thing that has occasionally ended up
in my disposal is the pop-top from a soda can. Other times it's pieces
of plastic from one of those slotted bread bag closures.

Sometime these small hard items can find their way between the bottom
plate and the side of the unit. Sometimes the shedders will spin past
them like they're not even there, other times it will make an awful
racket when the shedders hit the piece and other times the unit will
simply jam.

Use a flashlight and look carefully along the side walls of the unit
to see if there are any pieces of hard material stuck there. They can
be a real PITA to get out if they've gotten jammed in there tight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 11, 1:19 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 11, 12:53 pm, Art Todesco wrote:

I have an Insinkerator disposal that
works well, however, it is very noisy.
It wasn't that way when it was new.
And, strangely, it sometimes (very
infrequently) get quiet.

I have found that an older Insinkerator can be made quieter (much
quieter) by simply replacing the rubber gasket that is placed between
the sink and the unit.

It's easy to take apart; disconnect the hose to the dishwasher, if
any, disconnect the drain pipe by unscrewing the two screws that hold
it to the unit, unplug it (OK, maybe that first) and take an Allen
wrench to turn the tightening ring counterclockwise. Watch out and
hold the unit well, as it will fall if you don't. The tightening ring
has three round "tubes" located on the circumference of the ring
(tangential) and these "tubes" are what you use to unscrew the
tightening ring. If you don't get my explanation, I am sure you can
DAGS and find a clearer explanation. Replace rubber gasket and mount
again. The unit will be much quieter (if it is what the other two
before me speculated, you will also be able to find it; generally,
though, parts and pieces that are in a garbage disposal make more than
"noise:" I would call that a major racket that would make anyone stop
the unit right away. My opinion only).

Pierre

Pierre
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote in news:MY%rj.20$Mh2.8
@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:

I have an Insinkerator disposal that
works well, however, it is very noisy.
It wasn't that way when it was new.
And, strangely, it sometimes (very
infrequently) get quiet. I've never
taken one of these apart. Is this something
that might be fixable?

Like JoeSpareBedroom, here's my .02 on the same subject in another
thread.

Do you ever clean it? Simple. Toss a tray or
two if ice cubes in it. Whenever I do this, after it's done and flushed
with water the only sound is the hum of the motor.

....and then again, it may just be f*ed up :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
I have an Insinkerator disposal that works well, however, it is very noisy.
It wasn't that way when it was new. And, strangely, it sometimes (very
infrequently) get quiet. I've never taken one of these apart. Is this
something
that might be fixable?

Remove the silverware and that should quiet it down....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
I have an Insinkerator disposal that works well, however, it is very
noisy.
It wasn't that way when it was new. And, strangely, it sometimes (very
infrequently) get quiet. I've never taken one of these apart. Is this
something
that might be fixable?

Remove the silverware and that should quiet it down....

You're not supposed to keep the utensils in that handy opening???

Posted to alt.home.repair

Despite all the jokes about "removing
the silverware", etc., there are no
foreign objects in the unit. The blades
just seem to be making all the
noise. The inside of the unit is very
clean as it is all stainless steel. My
old unit, about 15 years ago, which
wasn't stainless, was pretty ugly inside
after years of use.

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
I have an Insinkerator disposal that works well, however, it is very
noisy.
It wasn't that way when it was new. And, strangely, it sometimes (very
infrequently) get quiet. I've never taken one of these apart. Is this
something
that might be fixable?

Remove the silverware and that should quiet it down....

You're not supposed to keep the utensils in that handy opening???

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
I have an Insinkerator disposal that
works well, however, it is very noisy.
It wasn't that way when it was new.
And, strangely, it sometimes (very
infrequently) get quiet. I've never
taken one of these apart. Is this something
that might be fixable?

Ignore the sound.

Eventually whatever is in the disposer's innards that's making the racket
will get ground up and the disposal will return to silent operation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:
I have an Insinkerator disposal that
works well, however, it is very noisy.
It wasn't that way when it was new.
And, strangely, it sometimes (very
infrequently) get quiet. I've never
taken one of these apart. Is this something
that might be fixable?

Ignore the sound.

Eventually whatever is in the disposer's innards that's making the racket
will get ground up and the disposal will return to silent operation.

Ain't gonna happen .... it's been many
years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:
I have an Insinkerator disposal that
works well, however, it is very noisy.
It wasn't that way when it was new.
And, strangely, it sometimes (very
infrequently) get quiet. I've never
taken one of these apart. Is this something
that might be fixable?

Ignore the sound.

Eventually whatever is in the disposer's innards that's making the racket
will get ground up and the disposal will return to silent operation.

Ain't gonna happen .... it's been many years.

To answer your original question, it's fixable **IF** you can get the parts,
and **IF** you can install them yourself. Your next move would be to contact
the manufacturer about parts availability.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:
I have an Insinkerator disposal that
works well, however, it is very noisy.
It wasn't that way when it was new.
And, strangely, it sometimes (very
infrequently) get quiet. *I've never
taken one of these apart. *Is this something
that might be fixable?

Ignore the sound.

Eventually whatever is in the disposer's innards that's making the racket
will get ground up and the disposal will return to silent operation.

Ain't gonna happen .... it's been many years.

To answer your original question, it's fixable **IF** you can get the parts,
and **IF** you can install them yourself. Your next move would be to contact
the manufacturer about parts availability.

I've yet to see a disposal that was meant to be taken apart and have
parts replaced. Even if it's theoretically possible, I sure wouldn't
waste the time trying to do it. How about after you screw around,
take it apart, pay $$$ for parts, put it back together, re-install it,
it either still makes noise or maybe now leaks?

I can see replacing the gasket that attaches to the sink, or the side
discharge connect for a dishwasher. But as far as taking the unit
itself apart, fuggeda bout it! For $130 you can get a decent new one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

===============

I've installed them, but I've never held them in my hand and wondered
"Hmm...how does this come apart?"

Have you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
I have an Insinkerator disposal that works well, however, it is very
noisy.
It wasn't that way when it was new. And, strangely, it sometimes (very
infrequently) get quiet. *I've never taken one of these apart. *Is this
something
that might be fixable?
Remove the silverware and that should quiet it down....

You're not supposed to keep the utensils in that handy opening???- Hide quoted text -

I'm not doubting your inspection techniques, but I will relate my own
experience.

There were a few times with my old Kenmore that I would hear the
occasional racket, look down in the unit with a flashlight and see
nothing. It wasn't until I would insert my hand into the unit and run
my finger around the seam between the side walls and bottom that I
would feel the tip of a piece of plastic or some other foreign object.
Once I removed the object - often not easily done - the noise would go
away for a long while. Once it would come back, I would go through the
same process - see nothing but feel debris - and remove it again.

I will add that I have never had the problem with my Insinkerator
Evolution unit. The removable drain guard does a much better job at
catching debris than the drain guard on the Kenmore. That, BTW, is
something you should look at if you decide to replace the unit. The
guard for the Kenmore unit was sandwiched between the sink and the
chrome ring inside the sink - in other words, not easily replaceable.
After years of putting my hand down the drain, it became ripped and
worn, allowing soap, utensils and other debris easy access to the
disposal. The Insinkerator uses a removable guard which dosen't
experience the wear and tear like the old one, and if it did, could be
replaced in seconds with having to disassemble the entire disposal and
drain system.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

drain system.- Hide quoted text -

Whoops...

Obviously I meant the guard could be replaced in seconds *without*
having to disassemble the entire disposal and drain system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 12:33*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

On Feb 13, 9:34 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Art Todesco" wrote in message

t...

HeyBub wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

Have you?- Hide quoted text -

You're the guy who said they can be fixed and repaired with new parts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

======================

So, you're saying your not as smart as the people who sit on an assembly
line all day long, putting these things together.

Got it. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

Got it. Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

So, you're saying your not as smart as the people who sit on an
assembly line all day long, putting these things together.

If I understand your meaning, I don't think that's a valid argument.

Are you saying that if a minimum-wage, minimally educated assembly
line worker can put something together, then anyone with any amount of
intelligence and mechanical skills should be able to repair that item?

If that's the case, then consider that many items today can be put
together on an manned assembly line but can never be taken apart
without damaging the item. Consider the assembly line worker who
aligns parts on the line before they goes into a press or a welder.
Just because they were put together by a human doesn't mean they can
be taken apart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

be taken apart.- Hide quoted text -

Good to see someone else here has common sense.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

=====================

I guess you're both right. It can't be done.

Except that it can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

Except that it can.- Hide quoted text -

Mr. Room,

I don't believe that I ever said "it couldn't be done"; whatever "it"
is. I was merely responding to your implied (at least to me) statement
that if an item was put together on an assembly line by minimally
educated persons then a more highly educated person should be able to
take it apart.

You'll note that I disclaimed my response (twice) by stating what I
thought you meant, and that if you did indeed mean what I thought you
meant, then I disagree. However, if you were specifically refering to
garbage disposals, then I have no knowledge as to whether they can be
taken apart or not - at least not to the level that the OP might need
to.

So, if your comment referred to garbage disposals only, I respectfully
bow out of this thread. However, if it is your opinion that anything
put together by humans on an assembly line can be (easily) taken apart
for repair, then I stand by my earlier disagreement.

VHS player fixable? dave UK diy 5 June 1st 07 07:27 PM
Is this fixable? [email protected] Electronics Repair 4 December 6th 06 12:07 AM
Is this (easily) fixable John UK diy 8 April 24th 06 02:53 AM
C-5 crash...Fixable? Tom Gardner Metalworking 43 April 6th 06 10:49 PM
Key on phone fixable? lucky Home Ownership 2 September 12th 03 12:18 AM