Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Very Noisy Disposal ... Fixable?

On Feb 13, 2:30*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 12, 10:13*pm, Art Todesco wrote:

Despite all the jokes about "removing
the silverware", etc., there are no
foreign objects in the unit. *The blades
just seem to be making all the
noise. *The inside of the unit is very
clean as it is all stainless steel. *My
old unit, about 15 years ago, which
wasn't stainless, was pretty ugly inside
after years of use.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message
"Art Todesco" wrote in message
I have an Insinkerator disposal that works well, however, it is very
noisy.
It wasn't that way when it was new. And, strangely, it sometimes (very
infrequently) get quiet. *I've never taken one of these apart. *Is this
something
that might be fixable?
Remove the silverware and that should quiet it down....

You're not supposed to keep the utensils in that handy opening???- Hide quoted text -

I'm not doubting your inspection techniques, but I will relate my own
experience.

There were a few times with my old Kenmore that I would hear the
occasional racket, look down in the unit with a flashlight and see
nothing. It wasn't until I would insert my hand into the unit and run
my finger around the seam between the side walls and bottom that I
would feel the tip of a piece of plastic or some other foreign object.
Once I removed the object - often not easily done - the noise would go
away for a long while. Once it would come back, I would go through the
same process - see nothing but feel debris - and remove it again.

I will add that I have never had the problem with my Insinkerator
Evolution unit. The removable drain guard does a much better job at
catching debris than the drain guard on the Kenmore. That, BTW, is
something you should look at if you decide to replace the unit. The
guard for the Kenmore unit was sandwiched between the sink and the
chrome ring inside the sink - in other words, not easily replaceable.
After years of putting my hand down the drain, it became ripped and
worn, allowing soap, utensils and other debris easy access to the
disposal. The Insinkerator uses a removable guard which dosen't
experience the wear and tear like the old one, and if it did, could be
replaced in seconds with having to disassemble the entire disposal and
drain system.- Hide quoted text -

Whoops...

Obviously I meant the guard could be replaced in seconds *without*
having to disassemble the entire disposal and drain system.