Posted to alt.home.repair, misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair

Default Quick basic advice on a dripping gas 40-gal hot-water heater

On Feb 12, 4:02*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message news:6fc777ee-3fad-467f-b11c-

The installation fee includes a bunch of possibly mandatory extras.
- Mandatory Installation Fee $300
- Mandatory Disposal Fee $10
- Mandatory Plumbing Permit $77
- Mandatory Flex Pipe Replacement $46
- Mandatory Sales Tax on the water heater ~8.75%
- Possible Earthquake Straps $68
- Possible pipe retrofit fees ~100
- Possible trip charge of $35 to $80 if any service is refused

What on that list is so excessive or wouldn't incur a similar charge
from a local plumber? * *They all seem within reason, depending of
course on the area.

The total is in the $680 range for most options.

Install 300
Disposal 10
Permit 77
Flex Pipe 46

That's $433 plus tax for a straightforward typical job. You may be
able to get it done for less, but it's not an outrageous price either.

*Start with he basic $300
charge. Double what a local guy may charge.

$300 is a typical price here in NJ.

*Permits can very , but probably
closer to $25 if you actually get one. *I'd not get one.

Any decent licensed plumber is going to get a permit, if one is
required. It's not a customer option, either you need one or you
don't. Now $77 may be a bit high, but with the way all kinds of fees
and permit charges have been jacked up here and in many other parts of
the country, it wouldn't surprise me to find that it could cost that
much. How about the plumber's time in going and getting it?

What about that $80
trip charge? *Sears will hose you no matter what. *Last place I'd go.

What $80 trip charge? That was IF SERVICE IS REFUSED. Meaning they
make a wasted trip and are locked out, etc.