Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Outside Wiring

In article ,
"Robert11" wrote:

Hello,

I plan on installing a flood light above my Deck.
vertical run of perhaps ten feet or so. Would connect at the
present small Deck light box.

This is a common upgrade.

My first thought was to run the wire in the normal grey plastic conduit,
or perhaps snake it inside the wall, somehow.

I would choose conduit. Your "snake it inside the wall, somehow" does not
instill confidence in this electrician. Fishing walls, particularly the
longer the run, can be very difficult. If the wall is insulated, all bets are
off, even for a professional wireman.

apparently it is code-compliant to run the correct type of
electrical wiring vertically on the outside of the house
siding without being in conduit.

Presumably, it WAS code-compliant when the main service line was installed.
It may no longer be compliant.

The simplest thing would of course be for me to just run a suitable wire
against the siding on the outside, without any conduit.

Yech! Exposed cabling of this type on the exterior of an otherwise nice home
looks TERRIBLE. I wouldn't do it even if it was up to code. Use conduit.

What are the code requirements for this application (simple 110 V,
14 gage wire)? I doubt that the regular NM-14 has an appropriate
sheathing for this application?

NM/NM-B is NOT rated for your intended use.

What type of wire is code approved for this type of application,
and what would I want?

14/2 w/grd UF - even if in conduit.

Any caveats or not apparent or obvious Code requirements?

Make your installation as nice/tough/durable as possible. If using
non-metallic tubing, use approved "plastic" conduit suitable for your
application. (UV-stabilized)

I do have some NM wire approved for direct ground burial
(per the label on the box)

Then is probably is NOT type NM.

Sure does have a tough outer sheath.

That sounds like UF - as it should be.

Would this be O.K., perhaps?

If it IS 'UF', it's OK to use.

Whatever I do, i want to be 100% sure that it is Code compliant.

Ensure that all boxes, fittings and conduit are rated as "rain tight", use
14/2 w/grd Type UF and you should be good to go. Good luck!
--

JR

Climb poles and dig holes
Have staplegun, will travel