Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outside Wiring

Hello,

I plan on installing a flood light above my Deck.
There is presently a small outside light about six feet above the Deck, so
with the new floodlight
mounted about the height of the second story, we are talking a vertical run
of perhaps ten feet or so. Would connect at the present small Deck light
box.

My first thought was to run the wire in the normal grey plastic conduit, or
perhaps snake it inside the
wall, somehow.

But I realized that the normal house service 220 V wires run from the
vertical power line drop to the
inside of the house opposite the service box in the basement, so apparently
it is code-compliant to run the correct type of
electrical wiring vertically on the outside of the house siding without
being in conduit.

The simplest thing would of course be for me to just run a suitable wire
against the siding on the outside, without any conduit.

What are the code requirements for this application (simple 110 V, 14 gage
wire) ?
I doubt that the regular NM-14 has an appropriate sheathing for this
application ?

What type of wire is code approved for this type of application, and what
would I want ?

Any caveats or not apparent or obvious Code requirements ?

I do have some NM wire approved for direcdt ground burial (per the label on
the box)
Sure does have a tough outer sheath.
Would this be O.K., perhaps ?

Whatever I do, i want to be 100% sure that it is Code compliant.

Much thanks, as always,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

You first have to install an outdoor raintight extension box on to the
existing flush wall box, then you can use PVC, which is probably the neatest
thing to do, or if it's an old house with balloon framing you could snake
inside the wall from the existing box to the new location, or using approved
rain tight UF connectors, run sunlight resistant UF from the existing
location to the new location

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 7:41*am, "Robert11" wrote:
[...]

In the past, I've always run NM 2 w/ground (romex) from the panel to a
junction box right near where I will be existing the house. Inside the
junction box I transition to individual stranded wires (rated for
outdoor use) which I pull through the PVC to a raintight box.

The single conductors are much eaiser to pull through the pvc,
especially if you need to make any turns.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Robert11" wrote:

Hello,

I plan on installing a flood light above my Deck.
vertical run of perhaps ten feet or so. Would connect at the
present small Deck light box.

This is a common upgrade.

My first thought was to run the wire in the normal grey plastic conduit,
or perhaps snake it inside the wall, somehow.

I would choose conduit. Your "snake it inside the wall, somehow" does not
instill confidence in this electrician. Fishing walls, particularly the
longer the run, can be very difficult. If the wall is insulated, all bets are
off, even for a professional wireman.

apparently it is code-compliant to run the correct type of
electrical wiring vertically on the outside of the house
siding without being in conduit.

Presumably, it WAS code-compliant when the main service line was installed.
It may no longer be compliant.

The simplest thing would of course be for me to just run a suitable wire
against the siding on the outside, without any conduit.

Yech! Exposed cabling of this type on the exterior of an otherwise nice home
looks TERRIBLE. I wouldn't do it even if it was up to code. Use conduit.

What are the code requirements for this application (simple 110 V,
14 gage wire)? I doubt that the regular NM-14 has an appropriate
sheathing for this application?

NM/NM-B is NOT rated for your intended use.

What type of wire is code approved for this type of application,
and what would I want?

14/2 w/grd UF - even if in conduit.

Any caveats or not apparent or obvious Code requirements?

Make your installation as nice/tough/durable as possible. If using
non-metallic tubing, use approved "plastic" conduit suitable for your
application. (UV-stabilized)

I do have some NM wire approved for direct ground burial
(per the label on the box)

Then is probably is NOT type NM.

Sure does have a tough outer sheath.

That sounds like UF - as it should be.

Would this be O.K., perhaps?

If it IS 'UF', it's OK to use.

Whatever I do, i want to be 100% sure that it is Code compliant.

Ensure that all boxes, fittings and conduit are rated as "rain tight", use
14/2 w/grd Type UF and you should be good to go. Good luck!
--

JR

Climb poles and dig holes
Have staplegun, will travel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 9:44*am, "Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 "
wrote:
Robert11 wrote:
[...]

Out of sight, out of mind. I would go up the inside wall to the attic
and out where my new light would go.

--
Blattus Slafaly *? 3 * * *7/8- Hide quoted text -

I would go up the inside wall to the attic and out where my new
light would go

Where possible, this is not a bad idea. Unfortunately, this is not
always feasible.

The front & rear exterior walls of my house are not accessible via the
attic. The ceiling in the bedrooms slant down, following the rafters,
leaving about 3 inches of wall above the windows. The soffit is right
above the window. To place a fixture on an exterior wall, you would
have to go through the wall in the living space. Doable, but a lot
more work than conduit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What are the code requirements for this application (simple 110 V, 14
gage
wire) ?
I doubt that the regular NM-14 has an appropriate sheathing for this
application ?

What type of wire is code approved for this type of application, and
what would I want ?

Any caveats or not apparent or obvious Code requirements ?

The only way to answer those questions is to talk to your local Code
Enforcement Office to see what the specific rules for your own locale
are. Every location tends to have slightly different requirements.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Robert11" wrote:

I do have some NM wire approved for direcdt ground burial (per the label on
the box)

No you don't.

If it's approved for direct burial, then it's not NM; conversely, if it is NM,
it's not approved for direct burial.

You might have UF; I can't see it from here, so it's kinda hard to tell -- but
I don't have to see it to know that *no* NM cable is approved for direct
burial. Never has been. Never will be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:
[...]

Since you want to be 100% Code compliant, it make your job a little easier.

First, you have to realize that the NEC does not dictate what code you
follow, rather your local city does. Most cities adopt the NEC and make
small changes and amendments to the code. The city of Portland has the
following rule in their code:

26.06.010 Required. Before any electrical work covered by this Title may
be installed, altered or repaired, a permit shall be obtained from the
Electrical Division.

I assume most cities have similar rules. Now all you have to do is go to
your building department and apply for a permit. They will answer all of
your questions with answers that are guaranteed to meet your local code
100%.

Assuming you really only meant to be 99% compliant, skipping the above
rule, then follow the advice the others are giving you.

-Mike