Posted to uk.d-i-y
cynic cynic is offline

Default Plant Screening for North Facing Fence

On 11 Feb, 12:46, "TheScullster" wrote:
Hi all

I have been granted planning permission to erect a fence to the north
boundary of my property. *A stipulation is that the fence must be set 500mm
(20") back from the boundary and suitable planting provided to screen the
fence and help it blend into the street scene.
My intention is to erect a fence with concrete posts and 300mm high concrete
gravel board beneath the panels.
So I guess the best screening measure would be to include low level plants
to obscure the gravel board and something taller to mask the posts.

To minimise the impact of this planting I would like to include the
following restrictions if possible:

As low maintenance as possible, given we cannot see this ourselves and would
be maintaining it for the benefit of others.
Suitable for north facing location in East Yorkshire (quite high so wind
tolerance needed).
Not too nutrient hungry (or with invasive route systems) as I will have a
veg plot the other side of the fence.

The fence is being erected to replace a row of Blue Lawson conifers, so much
of the goodness will have been stripped from the surrounding soil long ago..
Any recommendations on plant varieties and ground preparation required will
be gratefully received.

TIA

Phil

Go for Firethorn - it deters all but the most stubborn ASBO merchants