Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plant Screening for North Facing Fence

Hi all

I have been granted planning permission to erect a fence to the north
boundary of my property. A stipulation is that the fence must be set 500mm
(20") back from the boundary and suitable planting provided to screen the
fence and help it blend into the street scene.
My intention is to erect a fence with concrete posts and 300mm high concrete
gravel board beneath the panels.
So I guess the best screening measure would be to include low level plants
to obscure the gravel board and something taller to mask the posts.

To minimise the impact of this planting I would like to include the
following restrictions if possible:

As low maintenance as possible, given we cannot see this ourselves and would
be maintaining it for the benefit of others.
Suitable for north facing location in East Yorkshire (quite high so wind
tolerance needed).
Not too nutrient hungry (or with invasive route systems) as I will have a
veg plot the other side of the fence.

The fence is being erected to replace a row of Blue Lawson conifers, so much
of the goodness will have been stripped from the surrounding soil long ago.
Any recommendations on plant varieties and ground preparation required will
be gratefully received.

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sorry fellas - ignore this one - should have been UK-REC-GARDENING

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Sorry fellas - ignore this one - should have been UK-REC-GARDENING

Good question though.

My favorite is Viburnum Tinus. Nice tough evergreen.

Yew is good, but likes more sun and is slow grower.

Chuck in a few buddlea for effect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
TheScullster wrote:
Sorry fellas - ignore this one - should have been UK-REC-GARDENING

Good question though.

My favorite is Viburnum Tinus. Nice tough evergreen.

Yew is good, but likes more sun and is slow grower.

Chuck in a few buddlea for effect.

There's a couple of miles of buddlea along the new Orient Way in East
London. Seems to stay at fence height but also spreads outwards by the
same distance
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Feb, 12:46, "TheScullster" wrote:
[...]

Go for Firethorn - it deters all but the most stubborn ASBO merchants

North facing house? Mr Sandman UK diy 32 February 12th 08 01:26 PM
warming up a north facing outside wall? benpost UK diy 8 December 30th 07 01:02 AM
North-facing Concrete Patio Bryan Home Repair 3 November 18th 05 12:27 PM
screening under deck DJ Home Repair 0 June 21st 05 10:35 PM
charity plant sales - plant licences? Chris Bacon UK diy 1 May 11th 05 07:49 PM