Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] pdavid@bw.edu is offline

Default Very Noisy Disposal ... Fixable?

On Feb 11, 1:19 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 11, 12:53 pm, Art Todesco wrote:

I have an Insinkerator disposal that
works well, however, it is very noisy.
It wasn't that way when it was new.
And, strangely, it sometimes (very
infrequently) get quiet.

I have found that an older Insinkerator can be made quieter (much
quieter) by simply replacing the rubber gasket that is placed between
the sink and the unit.

It's easy to take apart; disconnect the hose to the dishwasher, if
any, disconnect the drain pipe by unscrewing the two screws that hold
it to the unit, unplug it (OK, maybe that first) and take an Allen
wrench to turn the tightening ring counterclockwise. Watch out and
hold the unit well, as it will fall if you don't. The tightening ring
has three round "tubes" located on the circumference of the ring
(tangential) and these "tubes" are what you use to unscrew the
tightening ring. If you don't get my explanation, I am sure you can
DAGS and find a clearer explanation. Replace rubber gasket and mount
again. The unit will be much quieter (if it is what the other two
before me speculated, you will also be able to find it; generally,
though, parts and pieces that are in a garbage disposal make more than
"noise:" I would call that a major racket that would make anyone stop
the unit right away. My opinion only).

Pierre

Pierre