Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Very Noisy Disposal ... Fixable?

On Feb 11, 12:53*pm, Art Todesco wrote:
I have an Insinkerator disposal that
works well, however, it is very noisy.
It wasn't that way when it was new.
And, strangely, it sometimes (very
infrequently) get quiet. *I've never
taken one of these apart. *Is this something
that might be fixable?

As long as we are posting brilliant advice from previous discussions,
here is something that I posted a few weeks ago that seems to fit your
exact situation of "sometimes noisy - sometimes quiet."

I got kids. Kids (at least mine) sometimes put things in the sink
that belong in the garbage. One thing that has occasionally ended up
in my disposal is the pop-top from a soda can. Other times it's pieces
of plastic from one of those slotted bread bag closures.

Sometime these small hard items can find their way between the bottom
plate and the side of the unit. Sometimes the shedders will spin past
them like they're not even there, other times it will make an awful
racket when the shedders hit the piece and other times the unit will
simply jam.

Use a flashlight and look carefully along the side walls of the unit
to see if there are any pieces of hard material stuck there. They can
be a real PITA to get out if they've gotten jammed in there tight.