Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Oil Fill Pipe Question

benick wrote:

Is there any problem with having the oil fill pipe and vent pipe inside an
attached garage temporarily.Moving the oil tank in the basement in the
spring when I can do without heat for a couple of days...No
doors,windows,garage doors soffitts ect. yet so there is PLENTY of air
flow...To COLD here in Maine to do much outside.The reason I ask is the oil
delivery guy was whinning about the fumes when he pumps the oil in and said
I should go buy pipes to put it outside temporarily...Is he a whine ass or
is it something I should do ? Thanks for any advice....

If I'm reading you correctly, the garage is incomplete, with huge gaping
holes where the doors would be. If that is the case as a temporary
condition it's little different than putting an awning roof over an
outdoor tank and should be perfectly safe as long as you don't close in
the garage before you move the tank and connect it properly. That said,
if you've got all those gaping holes, just stick the fill and vent pipes
out the hole where a window would go and be done with it.