Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil Fill Pipe Question

Is there any problem with having the oil fill pipe and vent pipe inside an
attached garage temporarily.Moving the oil tank in the basement in the
spring when I can do without heat for a couple of days...No
doors,windows,garage doors soffitts ect. yet so there is PLENTY of air
flow...To COLD here in Maine to do much outside.The reason I ask is the oil
delivery guy was whinning about the fumes when he pumps the oil in and said
I should go buy pipes to put it outside temporarily...Is he a whine ass or
is it something I should do ? Thanks for any advice....

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:

Is there any problem with having the oil fill pipe and vent pipe inside an
attached garage temporarily.Moving the oil tank in the basement in the
spring when I can do without heat for a couple of days...No
doors,windows,garage doors soffitts ect. yet so there is PLENTY of air
flow...To COLD here in Maine to do much outside.The reason I ask is the oil
delivery guy was whinning about the fumes when he pumps the oil in and said
I should go buy pipes to put it outside temporarily...Is he a whine ass or
is it something I should do ? Thanks for any advice....

If I'm reading you correctly, the garage is incomplete, with huge gaping
holes where the doors would be. If that is the case as a temporary
condition it's little different than putting an awning roof over an
outdoor tank and should be perfectly safe as long as you don't close in
the garage before you move the tank and connect it properly. That said,
if you've got all those gaping holes, just stick the fill and vent pipes
out the hole where a window would go and be done with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
benick wrote:

[...]

You would be correct. Garage is 28X32 with 10X10 breeze way...fill pipe is
in the breeze way almost exactly in the middle. Soffits are all open,2 7X10
Garage doors,3 entry doors and 4 windows are not in yet...It would be about
a 5 foot run to stick it out a window or door that the oil guy could get to.
Not exactly "safe" either...Nothing is gonna get done till spring..It's
about 30 below 0 with the wind today...LOL...Managed to get it framed and
roofed before the real cold set in before Christmas...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
Is there any problem with having the oil fill pipe and vent pipe inside an
attached garage temporarily.Moving the oil tank in the basement in the
spring when I can do without heat for a couple of days...No
doors,windows,garage doors soffitts ect. yet so there is PLENTY of air
flow...To COLD here in Maine to do much outside.The reason I ask is the
oil delivery guy was whinning about the fumes when he pumps the oil in and
said I should go buy pipes to put it outside temporarily...Is he a whine
ass or is it something I should do ? Thanks for any advice....

Check your codes. He may be able to refuse to deliver. While you may
consider it open, the building inspector may not. Same goes with propane
tanks. They have to be some distance from windows, electric lines, etc.