Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dan K Dan K is offline

Default Premature halogen bulb failure

I'm beginning to think my premature headlight failures are due to a less
than 100% good electrical connection at the bulb, as I noticed with the last
failure that the connection seemed a little loose. (I've done all the
obvious checks and handling precautions and still go through H7 bulbs like
popcorn). This time I put some electrical conductive greese on the spade
lugs before plugging the light in and its been working fine for a while
now...time will tell.

Dan

wrote in message
These are 40W Wagner 795 halogen bulbs used in an automotive light
bar. They failed prematurely. We were very careful installing them
that they were never touched by hand. So I have some questions:
1. Why is it that touching halogen bulbs can decrease their life? This
is a sealed bulb.
2. Should we clean them with 99% isopropyl before installing them?
3. Does anyone have any ideas as to why these failed prematurely?
Thanks, Lenny.