Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Fleck Water Softener Problem

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 17:53:13 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I have a 48,000 Grain water softener that I bought and Installed.
Everything worked great, and It worked fine with the settings "out of
the box" i.e. 15 lbs of salt and 854 gallons before a new
regeneration. Obviously, that is excessive salt use for a family of 4
with 17 gpg hardness and 1 ppm iron.

Look on the control valve, for a sticker. Does it say/marked in pen
or marker 2.0 or 4.0? (factory setting upon order)

It seems you regenerate more than necessary. Mine is marked 2.0 - two
people, 75 gallons of water per day..all included.

Understand the 5600se control has a default regen cycle of 14 days,
iirc! You can up the number.

I was able to get those settings correct after about a week, but I
found that the 18x33 brine tank that came with the unit was too large
for the room the softener sits in. I bought a used 12x14
rectangular brine tank locally from a softener guy for 50.00. I gave
him the brine well and float and the 18x33 tank and he gave me this
new (used) tank that came off a old technetic softener. When I
installed the new brine tank, I found that when the softener (fleck
5600se) goes into brine/rinse stage, it starts sucking air and it
makes the water throughout the house salty and fizzy (lots of air in
the water). Is this because the float in the new (old) tank not
compatible with the 5600??? Thanks

Oren