Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fleck Water Softener Problem

I have a 48,000 Grain water softener that I bought and Installed.
Everything worked great, and It worked fine with the settings "out of
the box" i.e. 15 lbs of salt and 854 gallons before a new
regeneration. Obviously, that is excessive salt use for a family of 4
with 17 gpg hardness and 1 ppm iron.

I was able to get those settings correct after about a week, but I
found that the 18x33 brine tank that came with the unit was too large
for the room the softener sits in. I bought a used 12x14
rectangular brine tank locally from a softener guy for 50.00. I gave
him the brine well and float and the 18x33 tank and he gave me this
new (used) tank that came off a old technetic softener. When I
installed the new brine tank, I found that when the softener (fleck
5600se) goes into brine/rinse stage, it starts sucking air and it
makes the water throughout the house salty and fizzy (lots of air in
the water). Is this because the float in the new (old) tank not
compatible with the 5600??? Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 17:53:13 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I have a 48,000 Grain water softener that I bought and Installed.
Everything worked great, and It worked fine with the settings "out of
the box" i.e. 15 lbs of salt and 854 gallons before a new
regeneration. Obviously, that is excessive salt use for a family of 4
with 17 gpg hardness and 1 ppm iron.

Look on the control valve, for a sticker. Does it say/marked in pen
or marker 2.0 or 4.0? (factory setting upon order)

It seems you regenerate more than necessary. Mine is marked 2.0 - two
people, 75 gallons of water per day..all included.

Understand the 5600se control has a default regen cycle of 14 days,
iirc! You can up the number.

I was able to get those settings correct after about a week, but I
found that the 18x33 brine tank that came with the unit was too large
for the room the softener sits in. I bought a used 12x14
rectangular brine tank locally from a softener guy for 50.00. I gave
him the brine well and float and the 18x33 tank and he gave me this
new (used) tank that came off a old technetic softener. When I
installed the new brine tank, I found that when the softener (fleck
5600se) goes into brine/rinse stage, it starts sucking air and it
makes the water throughout the house salty and fizzy (lots of air in
the water). Is this because the float in the new (old) tank not
compatible with the 5600??? Thanks

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 7:53 pm, wrote:
[...]

He should have told you to keep the brine well, 23x0 float controlled
valve and the brine pickup tube from the first tank. Go visit or call
him and tell him about the air. That has nothing to do with the salty
problem, that is due to your settings on the control valve.

The "default settings" are not what you need, and 15lbs in a 1.5 cuft
(so called 48k) softener is regenerating less than 48k of capacity;
about 40k. For max 45K in a 1.5 cuft softener, you need 23 lbs of
salt. For help on settings find the sizing page at
www.qualitywaterassociates.com

Gary Slusser
Quality Water Associates
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

That handwritten number is the DLFC button's gpm rating; that is the
drain line flow control. It is different for each cuft size softener

The 14 days, it can go from 1 to 28 days, is the calendar override of
the metering. It should be set for the number of days between
regenerations based on the K of capacity dictated/established by the
salt dose lbs in the given volume and type of resin. Plus the type of
'salt' used for regeneration; sodium chloride (softener salt) or
potassium chloride (salt substitute) which is not as efficient as
softener salt because all residential ion exchange softener resin is
made in the sodium form, there is no potassium form resin. Depending
on the salt efficiency setting of the softener, you may have to
increase the salt dose by up to 30%.

Gary Slusser
Quality Water Associates

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Fleck water softener valves in the UK? Unix Guru[_2_] UK diy 0 September 13th 07 02:24 PM
Clack vs Fleck Softener heads RakeKiller Home Repair 0 July 20th 07 12:10 PM
Water softener problem Bob Home Repair 2 April 29th 07 02:25 AM
ge water softener problem Jim Home Repair 1 November 11th 06 03:40 AM
water softener problem, water empties from holding tank Bill Home Repair 1 March 19th 05 06:32 PM