Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default 3-way grounded neutral?

"Terry" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 18:43:21 -0500, "RBM" wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like a previous post of mine got
lost. Anyway...

I am going to pull out each switch and examine to see if I can
determine exactly what's going on. I will take pictures if I can't
figure it out and post back.

One followup question -

If I am to understand what might be happening is depending on which
switch is switched on, either the white or black wire could be the hot
wire. Is this accurate?

Anything is possible. At the fixture, you should have an unswitched
Neutral
regardless of what color it is. You should be able to determine which wire
because it will give you continuity to the ground conductor or metal box.
Only ungrounded (hot) goes through the switches, then returns to the
fixture. With a light bulb pigtail, test between the hot return wire from
the switch and either ground or neutral, it'll light with the switch "on"

If the light is controlled by 2 switches, then you should be seeing
some red wire too.

Only between the switches. My understanding is that he only has two
conductors and ground at the fixture. No?