Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_2_] HeyBub[_2_] is offline

Default Quick basic advice on a dripping gas 40-gal hot-water heater

Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator wrote:

Do you have quick advice on hot-water heaters?

1. If it's leaking cold water from the bottom but still working, is
it not repairable (I assume it's a throwaway item).

Correct. The heater may be okay but you have a leaking pipe. Improbable, but
possible.

2. It's at least as new/old as when I moved into this house around
2000 and it has an energy efficiency sticker so it's not that old.
But, would you replace it with a bigger (only two people in the small
house as the kids are gone) one or even go tankless?

Seven years can be about right for an economy model in harsh water
conditions. If the capacity has been adequate, replace it with the same. A
larger capacity model does not last longer and may introduce connection
issues (the pipes are in the wrong place).

3. Is it a home repair or, due to gas, is it only by a qualified pro?

For a traditional male with the right tools, it's a DIY. For wimps, metros,
the aged, the infirm, those too busy, or for those who know the names of
more than about six colors, it's a pro job.

4. Do most of you go to Home Depot or the like and just pick one and
have them install it or is there a "better" way?

Water heaters are commodity items. The same model is the same model.
Installation is non-tricky - it's hard to believe even the fools selected by
HD could screw it up. After removing the old heater, you set the new one in
place and connect three pipes. You're done.

5. I never did anything preventative but googling talks about a
sacrificial anode and draining; should I have done that (I'm guessing
yes).

Too late, now. How often to drain (if ever) depends on the quality of your
water. Study on this later.

6. If we go tankless, are there "gotchas" we need to watch out for?

Several. You'll need at least three (kitchen, bath, and laundry). This
usually means running new electrical service to hard-to-reach places.

Sorry for so many questions!
But it would be nice to get your off-the-cuff advice again!

If you can live without hot water until your husband returns:

Drain the hot water heater:

1. Turn off the water supply valve to the water heater. There are two pipes
attached to the top, close the valve that is found on one of the pipes.
2. Turn the heater's gas valve to OFF
3. Hook up a water hose to the outlet found near the bottom of the water
heater, put the other end of the garden hose outside.
4. Turn the valve that's built into to the place on the water heater where
you hooked up the hose.
5. Open any hot-water faucet (this allows air to enter the tank).