Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default Chucks-Chucks -Chucks [ UK ]

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 00:08:31 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:
snip
To come back to the jaws and chucks, where numbers of jaws available
to cover the gripping size from small to large, is seen as an
advantage,
I see them as a limitation, or the result of a limitation, as it is a
result of limited jaw travel being available on a chuck, and they are
always there, or else you would need only one set of jaws, .....but
having a chuck that has a longer travel, is a distinct advantage, as
one set of jaws is able to do more.
This also means less often changing jaws and less money invested in
more different size jaws and/or extra chucks.

I have about 4 different jaw sets for my Talon, Leo, and find that as I get more
experienced, I use the different sets very little..

The #2 jaws that came with the chuck seem to work for most of my turning, the
spigot jaws are used once in a while for something special..
I added a 2nd talon a few years ago for guest turners and it has the spigots on
it just in case.. *g*

The jumbo jaws gather dust since I went to a vacuum system and the smaller jaw
set (#1 or 3??) never did get much use..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing