Posted to alt.home.repair
BETA-33 BETA-33 is offline

Default Quick basic advice on a dripping gas 40-gal hot-water heater

I am not sure why it would be leaking cold water if it is working and
therefore the water in the tank would be hot. Check above the hot water
heater to see if any cold water pipes or any valves are dripping a little,
and if the dripping water is then running down the outside to the bottom,
making it look like the tank is leaking when it isn't.

If it's definitely the tank that is leaking (but leaking "cold" water makes
me wonder about that), there is a risk that it will leak more in the next
few days and be a big mess. Depending on where the tank is located, that
could be a problem. If it's in a basement with a drain, and/or with nothing
around on the floor that could be damaged by water, a bigger leak may not be
a huge problem.

To be safer, when you leave the house, you can turn off the main water valve
to the house, or if you know where the cold water feeds into the top of the
hot water heater, you could just turn that valve off. Then, if there is a
big leak, mostly only the water in the tank will leak out rather than having
an unending flow of water running out of the bottom of the tank.

Skip the tankless water heater idea -- lot's of problems and not worth it.

"Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator" wrote in
message ...
Can I get some quick trusty advice on a dripping gas 40 gallon hot-water
heater?

I noticed my hot-water heater leaking and my husband is out of town.
He says wait until he comes back (1 week) but I am afraid something bad
will happen. He also says maybe we should replace with an instant on
tankless heater but I want to get it done today!

Do you have quick advice on hot-water heaters?

1. If it's leaking cold water from the bottom but still working, is it not
repairable (I assume it's a throwaway item).

2. It's at least as new/old as when I moved into this house around 2000
and
it has an energy efficiency sticker so it's not that old. But, would you
replace it with a bigger (only two people in the small house as the kids
are gone) one or even go tankless?

3. Is it a home repair or, due to gas, is it only by a qualified pro?

4. Do most of you go to Home Depot or the like and just pick one and have
them install it or is there a "better" way?

5. I never did anything preventative but googling talks about a
sacrificial
anode and draining; should I have done that (I'm guessing yes).

6. If we go tankless, are there "gotchas" we need to watch out for?

Sorry for so many questions!
But it would be nice to get your off-the-cuff advice again!

Donna