Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Paul is offline

Default Using oil emulsion cutting fluid for hand tapping - update

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I finally got around to trying Rustlick WS-5050 emulsion for hand
tapping in 1018 steel. It works quite well, and yielded nice smooth
threads.

I wonder if the concentrate works better than the emulsion. The
concentrate is $20/gal, which is a big improvement over $10 for 4 oz.

The test was cutting the 5/8-18 threads in the T-Nut for the Dickson
toolpost on the Clausing 5914. The tap is spiral-pointed (ie, a gun
tap) and was made by Greenfield.

Joe Gwinn

Joe

Coincidentally I cut that exact same thread for a t-nut for my Clausing
5904 yesterday. Steel unknown but probably 1018. I used Tap Magic new
formula (no where near as good as the old stuff), and got a decent
thread. The t-nut is for a homemade tool post (basic idea was from an
article in a recent Machinist's Workshop) I modified it to accept BXA
or 200 series tool blocks. The Phase II block I usually use sometimes
interferes with the workpiece and or tailstock center, and besides, it
was a somewhat challenging project. I'm single point threading the bolt
but ran out of time to finish it yesterday.

Regards
Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.