Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tbasc@bellsouth.net is offline

Default French drain questions

On Feb 10, 4:25*am, "SteveB" wrote:
I'm getting ready to put in French drains in several areas. *If I have this
correct, you just dig a ditch to grade away from where you want the water to
drain from. *You line the ditch with porous landscaping cloth. *Put some
gravel in there. *Put a perforated pipe in there. *Fill with gravel.

Correct?

Any problems with putting leveling sand on top of that with pavers? *Any
need to put those clean out boxes on there?

Looks simple enough, but don't want to make basic mistakes and have to dig
it up. *Is the piping necessary? *It's cheap, or does the gravel channel do
the same thing? *Or does the pipe keep a larger opening?

Steve

Steve, don't forget to lap the 'landscape cloth' over the top of the
gravel.
That keeps dirt from filtering into it and clogging gravel and pipe.
Contractor friend who does a lot of this places pipe perferations on
bottom of pipe also to keep dirt out.