Posted to alt.home.repair

Default French drain questions

On Sun 10 Feb 2008 02:25:39a, SteveB told us...

I'm getting ready to put in French drains in several areas. If I have
this correct, you just dig a ditch to grade away from where you want the
water to drain from. You line the ditch with porous landscaping cloth.
Put some gravel in there. Put a perforated pipe in there. Fill with
gravel.

Correct?

Any problems with putting leveling sand on top of that with pavers? Any
need to put those clean out boxes on there?

Looks simple enough, but don't want to make basic mistakes and have to
dig it up. Is the piping necessary? It's cheap, or does the gravel
channel do the same thing? Or does the pipe keep a larger opening?

Steve

Use the pipe. We had several French drains run before isntalling a very
large flagstone patio. In over 20 years we've never had a problem. You
described construction sounds perfect.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 02(II)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)
Faith without works is dead. - James 2:26

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 4:25*am, "SteveB" wrote:
I'm getting ready to put in French drains in several areas. *If I have this
correct, you just dig a ditch to grade away from where you want the water to
drain from. *You line the ditch with porous landscaping cloth. *Put some
gravel in there. *Put a perforated pipe in there. *Fill with gravel.

Correct?

Any problems with putting leveling sand on top of that with pavers? *Any
need to put those clean out boxes on there?

Looks simple enough, but don't want to make basic mistakes and have to dig
it up. *Is the piping necessary? *It's cheap, or does the gravel channel do
the same thing? *Or does the pipe keep a larger opening?

Steve

Steve, don't forget to lap the 'landscape cloth' over the top of the
gravel.
That keeps dirt from filtering into it and clogging gravel and pipe.
Contractor friend who does a lot of this places pipe perferations on
bottom of pipe also to keep dirt out.
Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

SteveB wrote:
I'm getting ready to put in French drains in several areas. If I have this
correct, you just dig a ditch to grade away from where you want the water to
drain from. You line the ditch with porous landscaping cloth. Put some
gravel in there. Put a perforated pipe in there. Fill with gravel.

Correct?

Any problems with putting leveling sand on top of that with pavers? Any
need to put those clean out boxes on there?

Looks simple enough, but don't want to make basic mistakes and have to dig
it up. Is the piping necessary? It's cheap, or does the gravel channel do
the same thing? Or does the pipe keep a larger opening?

Steve

http://tinyurl.com/2w4eqt
Posted to alt.home.repair

what are you trying to accomplish? dry a low area of lawn? dry up your
basement? dry up a crawl space?

if your trying to dry up your basement the interior french drains work
better and are more effective.

as I once found out you can re slope the lawn, install new gutters,
downspouts, and drain lines. and STILL have a wet basement.

for french drains to be effective they must be below the level of the
footer.

been there done that

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 10:12�am, " wrote:
what are you trying to accomplish? dry a low area of lawn? dry up your
basement? dry up a crawl space?

if your trying to dry up your basement the interior french drains work
better and are more effective.

as I once found out you can re slope the lawn, install new gutters,
downspouts, and drain lines. and STILL have a wet basement.

for french drains to be effective they must be below the level of the
footer.

been there done that

if your putting down any sort of permanent surface you must backfill
with gravel only, some leveling sand is ok.

dirt takes at least 7 years to settle, so a new pation will be moving
for years
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 01:25:39 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

I'm getting ready to put in French drains in several areas. If I have this
correct, you just dig a ditch to grade away from where you want the water to
drain from. You line the ditch with porous landscaping cloth. Put some
gravel in there. Put a perforated pipe in there. Fill with gravel.

Correct?

Any problems with putting leveling sand on top of that with pavers? Any
need to put those clean out boxes on there?

Looks simple enough, but don't want to make basic mistakes and have to dig
it up. Is the piping necessary? It's cheap, or does the gravel channel do
the same thing? Or does the pipe keep a larger opening?

Steve

For the fabric (CHRISTY’S. ™. DRAIN-EEZ. ™. PERFORATED PIPE SLEEVING
SOCK - 3.1 oz. Drain-Eez. ™. encases drain pipe and prevents small
particle/ soil drain system ... 100' long.

Pics from Hendersen, NV basement recently.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...19_0002jpg.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...19_0001jpg.jpg

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm getting ready to put in French drains in several areas. If I have this
correct, you just dig a ditch to grade away from where you want the water to
drain from. You line the ditch with porous landscaping cloth. Put some
gravel in there. Put a perforated pipe in there. Fill with gravel.

Correct?

Any problems with putting leveling sand on top of that with pavers? Any
need to put those clean out boxes on there?

Looks simple enough, but don't want to make basic mistakes and have to dig
it up. Is the piping necessary? It's cheap, or does the gravel channel do
the same thing? Or does the pipe keep a larger opening?

Steve

For the fabric (CHRISTY'S. (tm). DRAIN-EEZ. (tm). PERFORATED PIPE SLEEVING
SOCK - 3.1 oz. Drain-Eez. (tm). encases drain pipe and prevents small
particle/ soil drain system ... 100' long.

Pics from Hendersen, NV basement recently.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...19_0002jpg.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...19_0001jpg.jpg

Oren

the sleeve sounds great but will clog way faster than a large fabric
filter surrounding a pipe with gravel

Suggestions for Connecting Filter Backwash Drain to French Drain? Scott Townsend Home Repair 0 July 22nd 07 10:02 PM
French drain help..... chrisexv6 Home Repair 22 April 19th 07 04:32 PM
French Drain Burhans Home Repair 4 May 28th 05 12:36 AM
Questions about french drain peter Home Repair 4 December 27th 04 01:34 PM
any reason I couldn't tap into a French drain to use it as a basement floor drain? PH Home Repair 3 July 7th 04 12:30 PM