Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlieb charlieb is offline

Default Musing about my short happy life as a turned wood artist.

wrote:

snip

I have had an opportunity to talk to a few of the nationally
recognized turners, and I have posted this before. To a person, they
all told me that they couldn't make it if they didn't teach, get a
sponsor, and do demos at clubs, and write articles. Most don't (I am
aware that some do) actually sell enough of their "art" to pay their
bills.

Personally, even with all the guests that we have had at our club and
the demos I have attended through other venues, I haven't found an
exception to the rule.

THAT is the irony of this marketing trend. While it plays up the
"art" and "artists", the folks making the money are the ones
who make and sell the lathes, chucks, turning tools and finishes
and the folks who sell "artists" works, write about them and so
on. What trickles down to the "artist" is all to often not enough
to stay alive on - without supplimenting that income with turning
demos, books, videos and - at the high end - Signature Gouges
and Signature Chisels. And it's a pity that the people who
drive this "industry" are at the bottom of this trickle down
system.

As for some of what is being called "art" - that charred chunk
of wood with the bandsaw facets and the only turning on it
being a concavity - painted red - that was on the cover of
one of the AAW quarterly magazines for example. Well if
that's an example of turning "art" - I sure don't want to head
in that direction. No fun, no challenge - I'll pass.

charlie b