Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jakthehammer Jakthehammer is offline

Default Premature halogen bulb failure

"James Sweet" wrote in message
news:V5brj.416$CX2.47@trndny09...

"Jakthehammer" wrote in message

wrote in message
These are 40W Wagner 795 halogen bulbs used in an automotive light
bar. They failed prematurely. We were very careful installing them
that they were never touched by hand. So I have some questions:
1. Why is it that touching halogen bulbs can decrease their life? This
is a sealed bulb.
2. Should we clean them with 99% isopropyl before installing them?
3. Does anyone have any ideas as to why these failed prematurely?
Thanks, Lenny.

They got burn out quickly because their over-work, Check its resistance.
Halogen has 0.4 ohm(=load) as supposed to 0.6 ohm=regular bulb.
Remember
bulb are designed for 12V not good for above 14V - 15V. If your
regulator
Fuse was removed, your Alternator output may not be regulated down to
14,
you may have 15V instead of 14. This would kill the bulb quickly in 1-2
weeks. I had the same problem because my new alternator produce 14.4V,
the
solution is to use regular light bulb.

Huh?

Huh? Plug a meter in a cigarette lighter, make it solid, drive your car,
and the truth will reveal itself on the meter.