Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Musing about my short happy life as a turned wood artist.

Mac
I am not sure about the idea that creativity can not be learned. Some of
that, I think, belongs in the realm of similar consideration of a typical
guitar player versus a Segovia. Both could practice for hours on end and
Segovia would still outplay the other by way of talent if not genius. This
does not mean that the other was not a creative and talented player, just
that the levels are different.
Most turning is looking at the piece as it spins and picturing it rotated
90* and not moving, then considering what would happen if a little or a lot
was removed from a certain area in a certain fashion. Experience and
repetition allows a freedom in decision and hopefully a leap of insight and
intuition that results in a finer turning.
Too much of the time turners, in my opinion, look to turnings for creative
inspiration. There are a myriad of round forms out there to consider.
Pottery, ceramics, sculpture, plants, animals, seashells, and lots of other
things come to mind. Asking what makes one deer in my backyard look
different from the others may give insight into line and form that a half
dozen hollow forms just do not.
Art classes are designed to turn out competent artists, not Van Goghs,
except as a spectacular accident. However, a competent artist has learned
somewhat of creativity. Perhaps turners too can learn a bit of creativity.
Besides, if man is created in the image of God the creator, should there not
be a spark of creativity in us? Something calls wood turners to create on
the lathe.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"mac davis" wrote in message
On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 11:25:39 -0500, (Arch) wrote:

I read and hear a lot these days that the ability to produce turned wood
fine art is not an inborn talent and anyone can do it. It just takes
hard work, perseverance and self confidence.

Hmm... you're reading and listening in the wrong places again, Arch.. ;-]

Folks with good dexterity can be taught the moves, positions, etc... but
not the
creative ability..
They call those folks "machinists".. they can take your turned piece and
make
thousands of exact copies, IF they have the original to copy..

Some folks have the gift of song, some can draw or paint, some have an
"eye" for
photography, IMHO..
You can learn to do anything better, if the talent to do it at all is
there..
But the intuitive gift of "seeing" what a turned object will look like
when you
put a piece of wood on the lathe, or how a scene will look after you take
develop the picture can't be taught, IMO..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing