Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default Musing about my short happy life as a turned wood artist.

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 11:25:39 -0500, (Arch) wrote:

I read and hear a lot these days that the ability to produce turned wood
fine art is not an inborn talent and anyone can do it. It just takes
hard work, perseverance and self confidence.

Hmm... you're reading and listening in the wrong places again, Arch.. ;-]

Folks with good dexterity can be taught the moves, positions, etc... but not the
creative ability..
They call those folks "machinists".. they can take your turned piece and make
thousands of exact copies, IF they have the original to copy..

Some folks have the gift of song, some can draw or paint, some have an "eye" for
photography, IMHO..
You can learn to do anything better, if the talent to do it at all is there..
But the intuitive gift of "seeing" what a turned object will look like when you
put a piece of wood on the lathe, or how a scene will look after you take a
develop the picture can't be taught, IMO..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing