MP Toolman

Default Torch/gas compatibility: Oxy-Acetylene/Mapp/Propylene/....

Hi,
You do use different cutting torch tips for Mapp, and LP/natural gas. I am
personally in the "you need acetylene to do a decent job welding" camp. Other
fuel gasses work OK for cutting and certainly for heating, but I also prefer
acetelyne for cutting -- and I do not do that much cutting so gas cost is not
that big of a factor.

If you should decide to go with an Airco cutting torch (quite available on
Ebay), I have a bunch of "new old stock" Mapp and LP torch tips I would be
interested in selling for a very good price. Email me if interested. Thanks.

Mill

I'm looking to get a torch and tanks for brazing and cutting for home
shop use. Though it's all I've used before, I'd like to avoid
acetylene if possible--from what I've read in the archives, the
alternatives are safer, they cut cleaner, and I don't need to gas weld
(been there and prefer brazing). But I don't know what the
compatibility is as far as equipment goes. I can find dozens of
oxy-acet torch sets (best deal is the Victor Advantage II set thru
Sam's club for $132, I think), but little for oxy-mapp/propylene.
There is a Harris set specifically for oxy-propylene, but it's $200+.
I understand oxy-mapp/propylene may need larger and/or special
tips--what sizes would I need to braze 1/16" to 1/4", and cut 1/8" to
1/2" (the Victor set comes w/ 0s for each)? How about compatibility
of the rubber hoses, seals, regulators...? Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks, David