Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TWW TWW is offline

Default Musing about my short happy life as a turned wood artist.

These interesting posts remind me of the book out perhaps 20 years ago
called 'The Artist's Way' by Julia Cameron. It was about expressing
something from out of the bowels of one's mind and sometimes what came
out was art.

As I look up over this computer screen I see a work of art. It is a
birch vase with a natural edge. It is full of paper clips, roofing
nails and a safety pin. It was one of the few turned works of art
this artist has ever done and it express nothing as far as he can
tell about what was going on inside of the artists' brain at creation
time. The natural colors stained in the wood itself (not from the
grain) are interesting but have nothing to do with the artist
expressing hidden truths for humanity. Art (assuming it exists) is
in the eye of the beholder and PT Barnum may not have really said one
was born every minute but anyone who sells their works for a little
money should be thankful Barnum was right