Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default Marking blue best?

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 23:51:32 GMT, (Doug White)
wrote:

Is there an advantage in using traditional marking blue?
Seems a lot more fiddly than a marking pen.

There are two kinds of marking blue:

There is a grease type like Prussian blue that is used for scraping and
precision fitting that will transfer from one part to the next.
Apparently Prussian blue is messy & very hard to clean up. I suspect
there may be better options. I've never used Prussian blue, but have a
home brew equivalent which is lamp black mixed with vaseline.

The other kind of marking blue is more like what you would get with a
marking pen, i.e. a thin dark material you can easily see a scribe mark
in. A wide tip black marking pen works fine for this, and is easy to
clean up with alcohol. I've used brush-on Dykem "layout fluid", but it
tends to go on thick, it can chip, and it's harder to remove than a
marker. If you have a large area you need to cover, you can get the best
of both worlds by using a Dykem felt tip applicator, which is like a
marker, but lays down a 1/2" wide stripe. It goes on thinner than the
brush on stuff, so it dries faster and is less likely to chip. It's
still harder to remove than marker.

Doug White

Ive got 4 cases of red and blue Dykem in spray cans.

Not all have propellent however.

Gunner