Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Marking blue best?

Jordan wrote:
Is there an advantage in using traditional marking blue?
Seems a lot more fiddly than a marking pen.

I use Canode dyes, they are water soluble. The real Prussian
blue is almost impossible to get off anything. But, it does
give a finer sensitivity to surface conditions. I suspect it
only matters well below .0001"

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Is there an advantage in using traditional marking blue?
Seems a lot more fiddly than a marking pen.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Is there an advantage in using traditional marking blue?
Seems a lot more fiddly than a marking pen.

There are two kinds of marking blue:

There is a grease type like Prussian blue that is used for scraping and
precision fitting that will transfer from one part to the next.
Apparently Prussian blue is messy & very hard to clean up. I suspect
there may be better options. I've never used Prussian blue, but have a
home brew equivalent which is lamp black mixed with vaseline.

The other kind of marking blue is more like what you would get with a
marking pen, i.e. a thin dark material you can easily see a scribe mark
in. A wide tip black marking pen works fine for this, and is easy to
clean up with alcohol. I've used brush-on Dykem "layout fluid", but it
tends to go on thick, it can chip, and it's harder to remove than a
marker. If you have a large area you need to cover, you can get the best
of both worlds by using a Dykem felt tip applicator, which is like a
marker, but lays down a 1/2" wide stripe. It goes on thinner than the
brush on stuff, so it dries faster and is less likely to chip. It's
still harder to remove than marker.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 09:36:53 +1100, Jordan wrote:

Is there an advantage in using traditional marking blue?
Seems a lot more fiddly than a marking pen.

Make sure that your "permanent" marking pen doesn't disappear or go soft when
subjected to cutting oil. A lot of them don't seem to last al that well.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jordan" wrote in message
u...
Is there an advantage in using traditional marking blue?
Seems a lot more fiddly than a marking pen.

Prussian Blue...I buy it in 55 gal drums, one or two a month.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

Prussian Blue...I buy it in 55 gal drums, one or two a month.

Could you expand on that?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 22:32:24 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

"Jordan" wrote in message
. au...
Is there an advantage in using traditional marking blue?
Seems a lot more fiddly than a marking pen.

Prussian Blue...I buy it in 55 gal drums, one or two a month.

Who or what are you screwing, bluing, or tattooing, Tawm?

Please return Stewardess to her original upright position.
--------------------------------------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

In which direction?

Well Prussian blue expands in all directions.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"Jordan" wrote in message
u...
Is there an advantage in using traditional marking blue?
Seems a lot more fiddly than a marking pen.

Prussian Blue...I buy it in 55 gal drums, one or two a month.

Jeez, what are you doing, painting the plant with it?

You must be doing a lot of manual layout. They have CNC for that now, you
know. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

"Jordan" wrote in message
u...
Is there an advantage in using traditional marking blue?
Seems a lot more fiddly than a marking pen.

Prussian Blue...I buy it in 55 gal drums, one or two a month.

Jeez, what are you doing, painting the plant with it?

You must be doing a lot of manual layout. They have CNC for that now, you
know. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

I think that with a drum of PB, one could eliminate all the "Red" states!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 22:32:24 -0500, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

"Jordan" wrote in message
. au...
Is there an advantage in using traditional marking blue?
Seems a lot more fiddly than a marking pen.

Prussian Blue...I buy it in 55 gal drums, one or two a month.

Dear god why???????

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
t...

"Wes" wrote in message
"Tom Gardner" wrote:

Prussian Blue...I buy it in 55 gal drums, one or two a month.

Could you expand on that?

Wes

In which direction?

If you buy it in 55 gallon lots, you have enough on hand to expand in every
direction, for as far as the eye can see. I swear, a drop of that stuff
can cover an acre.

Do readers understand that Prussian Blue and layout blue are not one and the
same, and that they are not interchangeable? One will not substitute for
the other.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 00:15:03 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 22:32:24 -0500, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

"Jordan" wrote in message
.au...
Is there an advantage in using traditional marking blue?
Seems a lot more fiddly than a marking pen.

Prussian Blue...I buy it in 55 gal drums, one or two a month.

Dear god why???????

Gunner

Haha. The secret's out. It's not really sky. It's the ceiling of the spaceship
and Tom makes lots of brushes too...

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

Prussian Blue...I buy it in 55 gal drums, one or two a month.

Dear god why???????

Gunner

That really does seem a lot. I'd probably one use one drum a month, if that.

Jordan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 10:58:24 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm, Mark
Rand quickly quoth:

wrote:

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 22:32:24 -0500, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

"Jordan" wrote in message
m.au...
Is there an advantage in using traditional marking blue?
Seems a lot more fiddly than a marking pen.

Prussian Blue...I buy it in 55 gal drums, one or two a month.

Dear god why???????

Gunner

Haha. The secret's out. It's not really sky. It's the ceiling of the spaceship
and Tom makes lots of brushes too...

WHAT? Y'mean to tell me that we're living in Ringworld and don't know
it?

--
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
-- Confucius
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug White wrote:

There are two kinds of marking blue:

I think the greasy variety is stuff I've seen described as bearing blue.

The Dykem felt applicator sounds good. Is it happy to stay on the shelf
for extended periods?

I've had good luck with them so far. The bottles of brush on stuff tend
to go bad long before a home shop can use one up. The applicator bottles
are much smaller, and I suspect the ratio of time to use them up & time
to gunk up is much closer to one. A 2 oz. applicator is ~$4, where a 4
oz. bottle is ~$5, so it isn't cheaper to buy the applicators by volume.
On the other hand, if it goes bad before you can use up half a bottle,
the applicator is cheaper. The other big plus is that you can't spill an
applicator bottle. I've seen more than one shop where somebody knocked
over a Dykem bottle. It makes a very big mess.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 22:32:24 -0500, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

"Jordan" wrote in message
om.au...
Is there an advantage in using traditional marking blue?
Seems a lot more fiddly than a marking pen.

Prussian Blue...I buy it in 55 gal drums, one or two a month.

Dear god why???????

Gunner

Haha. The secret's out. It's not really sky. It's the ceiling of the spaceship
and Tom makes lots of brushes too...

WHAT? Y'mean to tell me that we're living in Ringworld and don't know
it?

Ringworld? How did my bathroom get into the conversation?

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:45:25 -0800, David Harmon
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 16:39:07 -0500 in rec.crafts.metalworking, Bob
Engelhardt wrote,
Spray cans can be recharged with propane. 'Just need a fitting for a 14
oz propane can. Like this:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...CanAdapter.jpg

Cool. The cans I needed to recharge had valve tube projecting at
the top. I used a butane can for filling lighters. So all I needed
was a block with the right diameter holes drilled on opposite sides.

Way cool!

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. net...

"Wes" wrote in message
"Tom Gardner" wrote:

Prussian Blue...I buy it in 55 gal drums, one or two a month.

Could you expand on that?

Wes

In which direction?

If you buy it in 55 gallon lots, you have enough on hand to expand in every
direction, for as far as the eye can see. I swear, a drop of that stuff can
cover an acre.

Do readers understand that Prussian Blue and layout blue are not one and the
same, and that they are not interchangeable? One will not substitute for the
other.

Harold

Remember "Brylcreem, a little dab will do ya"? I still have the same tube from
30 years ago. The 55 gal drums are just for pranks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Tom Gardner" wrote:

Prussian Blue...I buy it in 55 gal drums, one or two a month.

Could you expand on that?

Wes

In which direction?

If you buy it in 55 gallon lots, you have enough on hand to expand in
every direction, for as far as the eye can see. I swear, a drop of that
stuff can cover an acre.

Do readers understand that Prussian Blue and layout blue are not one and
the same, and that they are not interchangeable? One will not substitute
for the other.

Harold

Remember "Brylcreem, a little dab will do ya"? I still have the same
tube from 30 years ago. The 55 gal drums are just for pranks!

Tom (the mother of pranks)-------hasn't anyone told you that you need hair
to take advantage of Brylcreem? :-)

Small wonder you still have the same tube.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

et...

"Wes" wrote in message
"Tom Gardner" wrote:

[...]

Hey, somebody was kind enough to send me some e-mails about some new miracle
products that are guaranteed to regrow my hair! Any day now, the products will
arrive and I'll be in follicle heaven!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:
Ive got 4 cases of red and blue Dykem in spray cans.

Not all have propellent however.

Spray cans can be recharged with propane. 'Just need a fitting for a 14
oz propane can. Like this:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...CanAdapter.jpg

It screws into the valve of a propane torch. Press the upside down
torch on the rattle can valve & open the propane valve. With a rag
wrapped around them - some contents will escape & mess things.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 02:39:43 -0500, "Tom Gardner"

. net...

"Wes" wrote in message
"Tom Gardner" wrote:

[...]

Did you get a brush with that?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Tom Gardner" wrote:

[...]

I think I own a hair brush...I'll have to look.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 19:59:57 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

Gerry said:
Did you get a brush with that?

I think I own a hair brush...I'll have to look.

Whatever for, Yul?

--
The only difference between a rut and a grave...is in their dimensions.
-- Ellen Glasglow
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

Not all have propellent however.

Sell those to Hawkie. He's FULL of propellant.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Hey, somebody was kind enough to send me some e-mails about some new miracle
products that are guaranteed to regrow my hair! Any day now, the products will
arrive and I'll be in follicle heaven!

Then you won't need a wig when you're playing lesbian? ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Who or what are you screwing, bluing, or tattooing, Tawm?

His competitors.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:

Who or what are you screwing, bluing, or tattooing, Tawm?

His competitors.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Competitors? My competitors ceased production and buy my stuff!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Competitors? My competitors ceased production and buy my stuff!!!

What did you think they would do after you screwed, blued, and
tattooed them? ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Competitors? My competitors ceased production and buy my stuff!!!

What did you think they would do after you screwed, blued, and
tattooed them? ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

I only had to PB a few car door handles!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

What did you think they would do after you screwed, blued, and
tattooed them? ;-)

I only had to PB a few car door handles!

Peanut Butter?
PB blaster?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 14:38:28 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

What did you think they would do after you screwed, blued, and
tattooed them? ;-)

I only had to PB a few car door handles!

Peanut Butter?
PB blaster?

I'm guessing Prussian Blue. Damn, Tom, that's just downright mean!

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

What did you think they would do after you screwed, blued, and
tattooed them? ;-)

I only had to PB a few car door handles!

Peanut Butter?
PB blaster?

I'm guessing Prussian Blue. Damn, Tom, that's just downright mean!

Pete Keillor

GEEEZE! I was waiting for him to admit to his crime!

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 16:39:07 -0500 in rec.crafts.metalworking, Bob
Engelhardt wrote,
Spray cans can be recharged with propane. 'Just need a fitting for a 14
oz propane can. Like this:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...CanAdapter.jpg

Cool. The cans I needed to recharge had valve tube projecting at
the top. I used a butane can for filling lighters. So all I needed
was a block with the right diameter holes drilled on opposite sides.

Marking out flooring petercharlesfagg[_2_] UK diy 15 December 21st 07 04:56 PM
HOT Stamp Marking Half-Nutz Metalworking 11 November 2nd 07 04:42 AM
Park Marking Help Lane Metalworking 10 February 3rd 05 05:11 AM
smd marking Matthieu Benoit Electronics Repair 1 April 3rd 04 11:31 PM
Blue, blue, my world is blue -- is this fixable? Eric Vey Electronics Repair 2 September 24th 03 11:45 PM