Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Musing about my short happy life as a turned wood artist.

On Feb 9, 12:45 am, charlieb wrote:
Though your post appears to be just a wee bit tongue firmly
in cheek, it does touch on a subject for discussion - the
fallacious art vs craft constructed wall.

It started out tongue in cheek, but it seems to have taken another
turn.

Following the example set by the marketing campaign
furniture makers took - going from furniture makers
to Studio Furniture ARTISTS - and for some - very
profitably - the AAW (American Association of Wood-
turners) has trended towards ART Turnings and
Studio Turners. It's not about Art OR Craft - it's
about MONEY.

I absolutely, 100%, could not agree with you more. Just about all
aspects of woodturning have turned into a marketing machine. Who in
the world would have thought people would be buying $3000 lathes so
frequently that there is a shortage of "The Mustard Monster" from time
to time? Why do some a Sorby gouges cost over $100?

Why do so many take this as a religion now? It used to be just a
bunch o guys turning wood and having fun. Now so many take themselves
SO SERIOUSLY that they start that prattle and blather about "giving
credit to the original artists" and all that other nonsense. Those
threads debating the origin of design, the proper homage being paid,
and the finer points of artistry are so self serving, so sanctimonious
it can make one sick.

Well, it does me, anyway.

Woodturners used to be an exception to the rule about snobbery within
the ranks. No longer. Some of the older fellows remain great guys.
Some of the younger ones are as full of crap as goose.

At the end of the day... look at what you have done. You have made a
round object to probably please yourself, and hopefully others as
well. That's it. No diseases cured, no great altruistic venture
launched.

The alternative, if generating revenue
to support The Habit is what you're
after - turn bottle stoppers, pens, rolling
pins, nut and fruit bowls, maybe some
spoons or magic wands.

I enjoy doing that to feed the tool monster, but it also makes some
people happy. For them, my efforts are gifts. For my family and
friends, I am glad they are happy to get my projects as gifts. For
others that purchase my little goodies, it pleases the entrepreneur in
me to sell something. Kinda of an off handed pat on the back,
especially when they come back or refer others.

I have had an opportunity to talk to a few of the nationally
recognized turners, and I have posted this before. To a person, they
all told me that they couldn't make it if they didn't teach, get a
sponsor, and do demos at clubs, and write articles. Most don't (I am
aware that some do) actually sell enough of their "art" to pay their
bills.

Personally, even with all the guests that we have had at our club and
the demos I have attended through other venues, I haven't found an
exception to the rule.

And remember, you're probably your
own worst critic - which isn't a bad
thing if it keeps you wanting to
improve your turning.

Once again, I agree. I think that most take up woodturning later in
life as a hobby, and they get discouraged because they don't turn the
finest of turnings after a lot of effort. For them it should be a
hobby if they want, not a friggin' popularity contest to see who who
is turning in the newest style proposed by the lathe and tool makers.

babble mode OFF

me too...

Robert