Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Toolbox question

Jo - the girl wrote in news:190703c0-55e9-4b82-
:

wrote:
On Feb 8, 4:55�pm, Jo - the girl wrote:
I'm really tired of people (housemates, friends, and family) taking my
tools without permission and then failing to return them. I go to get
some pliars or something and they're not there, it's really annoying.

I need a small portable toolbox/hand box for my tools and need an
opinion. I'm looking for one that's about 16 inches that I can put a
padlock on. After looking at a few it occurred to me that a padlock
might not keep people out. Some of the hinges on the plastic ones
appear big enough that you could push the pins out and open it up at
the hinges even if it had a padlock. What I'm wondering is how
difficult it would be to do that? Would a metal box be more difficult
to get into or does it depend?

they will just borrow the box.........

if you have the space get something like a pickup truck box made of
diamondplate and lock your tools in that.

no matter what if they want it bad enough its gone.

my best friend keeps all his tools locked up, after having to replace
them too often

I was going to chain the box to something so it would be impossible
for them to steal it. I just don't know which box would be harder to
get into - plastic or metal.

OF COURSE an all-metal toolbox will be harder to break into than a plastic
box.
Plastic also degrades over time,becomes brittle.

It's kind of funny because my aunt complains about the same thing. Her
husband and sons take her tools too. She says it's because they can
never find their own. I wonder how some people manage to lose their
tools. I always put things back in their proper place when I'm done
with them, especially if they belong to someone else.

ADMIRABLE.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik