Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Musing about my short happy life as a turned wood artist.

In message , Arch
writes
Thanks Robert, Leo and John.
Now to the question: Do you experts pull, chop or slice your barbecue?
Do you cut, skew, scrape or shearscrape the meat? Do you ride the skewer
or lead its flute? Is it shallow or deep, milled or forged?

I'm sure you turn the meat slowly using a gentle touch, but it's of
equal importance for newbies to learn who's bevel you guys grind on your
knives and forks and why. Hopefully these astute questions for you
experts will help the great uninformed.

Hey Arch

Being merely a beginner (6 months), in the art of barbecue
wood-shavings, and firewood, I still have lots to learn. I can make big
chips, and little, long shavings wide, and thin, and even dust clouds to
fill a room

I use my tools as a means to an end, if I can achieve what I want with a
tool I will use it, but always IT WILL (reminder to self) be sharp, and
used with a GENTLE (another reminder to self) touch.

Now should that bevel be 40, 60, 80 or 81degrees, at present I have no
preference, but believe that as time passes the bevel will find me for
each of the many different projects I undertake, as will the way for me
to hold my tools, the position I stand, there will be an ideal for me,
and that may not work for others. On that day it will be named Johns
grind.

I am a firm believer in cheap tools to start (but I emphasize not
dangerously cheap), as possibly 90% of the ability to create an item of
interest comes from skill, born from practice, and more practice. When I
reach that level, I will employ better tools to improve my ability. In
the mean time the extra practice in sharpening will, stand me in good
stead for when those expensive tools add themselves to my armoury, so if
I make a mistake now it will cost me little. My tru-grind will be
thoroughly put through its paces keeping up, but when those expensive
tools present themselves for their turn at the wheel, they will be
ground to Johns grind.

I can listen to other explain how to hold this tool, grind that tool, I
can watch a million videos or more, but I can really only learn the
theory that way, and its hands on and practice let the wood talk, it
will tell me which tool, and what grind, it and guide me to my
destination. The day will come when my skill and confidence is enough to
try and turn that 16inch x 6inch bowl outboard on my tiny little lathe,
where the slowest I can go is 400RPM, but on that day the tools will be
sharper than sharp, and the cuts less than the thickness of a hair.

Or maybe before that day a bigger more friendly lathe will be left by
Santa as he tours the globe, one cold winter night
--
John