Randy Zimmerman

Default Torch/gas compatibility: Oxy-Acetylene/Mapp/Propylene/....

You can use oxygen and avoid the acetylene by using a barbeque tank of
propane. You cannot cut with the regular oxy-acetylene cutting tip. You
will have to change to a fuel gas cutting tip. The two piece tips run less
than twenty dollars. I would recommend a double zero and a number one.
Cutting with propane is cleaner and more versatile than acetylene.
For brazing you can use the regular welding tips. They are hard to light up
but they will work. I would not make a habit of brazing with oxy-propane.
The heat is high enough in temperature but the heat tends to spread out more
than acetylene.
The conventional regulators, hoses, and torch handles will work on
propane. There are special rosebud heating tips for oxy-propane however the
oxy-acetylene rosebud will work with difficulty. Do not use a propane
rosebud on acetylene because the flame speed is too high and the torch will
back fire.
Randy

"David Malicky" wrote in message
om...
I'm looking to get a torch and tanks for brazing and cutting for home
shop use. Though it's all I've used before, I'd like to avoid
acetylene if possible--from what I've read in the archives, the
alternatives are safer, they cut cleaner, and I don't need to gas weld
(been there and prefer brazing). But I don't know what the
compatibility is as far as equipment goes. I can find dozens of
oxy-acet torch sets (best deal is the Victor Advantage II set thru
Sam's club for $132, I think), but little for oxy-mapp/propylene.
There is a Harris set specifically for oxy-propylene, but it's $200+.
I understand oxy-mapp/propylene may need larger and/or special
tips--what sizes would I need to braze 1/16" to 1/4", and cut 1/8" to
1/2" (the Victor set comes w/ 0s for each)? How about compatibility
of the rubber hoses, seals, regulators...? Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks, David