Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman Leo Lichtman is offline

Default Musing about my short happy life as a turned wood artist.

wrote : (clip) However, the second benefit
(remember, there were a couple) is that
with certain woods, they add a lot to the smoker while it is going.
So while a pork shoulder or brisket is rendering away on the cooker, I
can relish the joy/pain/sorrow/romance of knowing that destroying my
work is in some way contributing to the well being of others, while
staying confused about "my direction" or its meaning. (clip)

The meat actually tastes better in proportion to the quality and artistic
merit of the broken pieces of wood used to provide the heat and smoke.
What? You don't believe this? Neither do my dinner guests, but I have
noted that they often have more favorable comments about the food than about
my turnings. Doesn't that tell you something?