Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default 48 volt car elect not going to happen

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 11:30:06 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Vaughn Simon" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

Doctors kill 900,000+ people a year in the USA. Simply driving cars
kills 43k in the US, 1 million worldwide. Eating fast food/heart
disease kills 600k.

And every one of those threats is beside the point of what we are talking
about.

Lose your tunnel vision for a second and you'll see that risk is what
we're talking about. Even at 48V, electricians take a much greater
risk working at higher voltages every day than mechanics would. My
point is that our hobbies and occupations are inherently risky. That
may be why some of us are attracted to them. If you're not, fine. But
take a look around. Most folks will want manufacturers to say "There
is a new risk here and here are the safeguards. I want to know about
it but I don't want sixty laws protecting me from it or myself, TYVM."
Of course, I think the protection of criminals on death row from
committing suicide is just as assinine. So sue me.

Ask Vaughn "Which is the greater threat, us or the
voltage in vehicles?"

We are talking about adding a new occupational hazard for mechanics (and
firefighters etc.) If the hazard exists, the eventual results are just a matter
of statistics. Given sufficient opportunity, injuries/deaths from any new
hazard will eventually happen, we just don't know how often.

Add the word "possible" and I might tend to agree, just a bit.

To the rest of us, it' s a moot point.

Then why did you even bother responding? It sure won't be a "moot point" to
mechanics!

Since I used to be one, I thought my voice might have some credence.
YMMV.

--
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
-- Confucius