Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Removing Snow From Driveway - Best Long Term Solution?

On Feb 6, 8:52*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Harry K wrote:
On Feb 5, 4:08 pm, HerHusband wrote:
SW Washington state. Generally a mild climate, but we're at roughly
1500' elevation so we get more snow than most people around here. For
example, we had 14" of snow Saturday, but just 2-3 miles down the hill

(snip)

As for the plow berm. *If you can't get right at it, even a big gas
blower is almost helpless faced with a huge berm of plowed snow that
has been allowed to settle. *They tend to pack down to a dense, if not
frozen, mass.

Sore chuckle. I, a couple of hours ago, came close to damaging my
middle-age office-worker body clearing the wall of ice the plow guys
left blocking my driveway. Not deep, only about an 8-inch snowfall over
an inch of ice, so the dam was only about 18" high, and maybe 2 feet
wide. But being almost above freezing, it was totally waterlogged, and
it felt like shoveling wet concrete. I knew it would be frozen solid by
morning, so ignoring it was not an option. I was getting sudden flashes
of how they used to clear ice jams on rivers, to avoid taking out
bridges- dynamite. Too bad you can't buy that in the hardware stores
around here any more... :^/

aem sends...

Looking at mch the same problem this morning. It was predicted but I
went to bed praying they were wrong. Snow/wind started about 6 pm
with the snow coming horizontal. I shoveled a path twice to the
woodshed for wood. They said it would turn warm and rain by morning.
It did. I am now faced with a 100'x30' drive covered with drifts and
a plow berm. All wet. After breakfast it will on the 'blower and
work away at it.

Harry K