Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing Snow From Driveway - Best Long Term Solution?

HerHusband wrote:

if you get a reasonably capable vehicle with 4WD or AWD
you don't need to do anything but drive.

That's fine if you only have one car coming and going each day, but my wife
and I leave at different times and neither of us wants to commute in a
truck. Then there's the licensing, insurance, and maintenance of a truck
unless you drive one anyway.

As I already indicated, look at most anything Subaru if you don't want a
truck or SUV. My mother has a Subaru Impreza and it handles the "just
drive over the snow" in a 100'+ gravel driveway just fine. Indeed it
handles the on-road snow just as well as my 4WD 1T truck, it just can't
handle the off road driving I do.

Also, we can have a foot of snow here, and completely bare pavement just a
mile or two down the road. It doesn't make sense to drive a big gas guzzler
truck when the majority of our commute is completely clear.

Again, you're not reading what I said. There are plenty of cars capable
of handling on-road snow just fine.

Even snow tires would be hard to justify, both for cost and the hassles of
swapping them with regular tires every year. We only get a few snowstorms
each year, and the last several years we've had practically nothing. We
would just end up wearing out the snow tires before we ever really needed
them.

I don't use "snow tires" either, and I think they are mostly going the
way of the dodo. I use an all terrain, all season tire and they handle
whatever I throw at them just fine.

Go buy a couple decent Subarus and be done with it. If you don't like
Subaru for some reason, I believe there are a few other more expensive
AWD options out there in other brands, but be sure to check that they
have ground clearance comparable to the Subarus.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 5:48*am, "Pete C." wrote:
SteveB wrote:

"TD" wrote in message
.. .
HerHusband wrote in
:

We have a gravel driveway, roughly 150 feet long. It's about 12 feet
wide, except for a 20x30 area in front of the garage where we park and
turn around. It has a few curves, and slopes up towards the county
road. The county keeps the main road plowed, but just getting out of
our own driveway can be a real adventure.

I've traditionally gone out and shoveled the driveway clear when we've
had snow storms. It wasn't bad when I was younger, but as I get older
I realize I won't always be able to shovel snow for hours just to run
to town. So, I'm investigating other solutions that will be easier for
"an old guy" to manage. Unfortunately, staying home till the snow
passes won't be an option for many years to come.

The first option seems to be a snow thrower, but I don't really like
the thought of one more piece of equipment to maintain. We can have a
few really mild winters, followed by one or two really wild ones. So,
a gas snow blower could potentially sit unused for a couple of years,
just taking up lots of space. Fighting to start a small gas engine in
the cold doesn't sound much better than shoveling snow. And the $700
and up price tag seems high considering how often we might use it.

Considering the erratic nature of our storms, an electric model like
the Toro 1800 seems nice. No gas, no oil, no routine maintenance. I
already have 100' long heavy duty 12 gauge extension cords, and a
couple of electrical outlets along the drive. But, I hear they don't
work so well on gravel drives, or with wet deep snow. Still, the $300
price tag is easier to manage, and it wouldn't take up so much space
in the shed when we weren't using it.

I'm also considering some sort of snow melt system. I'm hoping to
install pavers and a drainage system in front of the garage this
summer anyway, so it seems like a good time to install a melt system
if I'm going to. But again, the costs for materials seems like it
would be rather expensive. Electric seems like it would be a lot less
maintenance (and we have low electric rates) than hydronic. But, both
systems seem to need some type of paved covering (concrete, asphalt,
pavers), which would further increase costs.

So, I'd like to hear how others deal with snow that falls erratically,
but can be a big problem when it does?

Thanks,

Anthony

My gas snow thrower has an electric start. *In the small event of loss of
power it has a pull start.

Gravel in a gas thrower is a million laughs. *4th word in the post.

Steve

Actually, a snow blower will work just fine on a gravel driveway if you
know what you're doing. You have to get the first inch of snow packed
solid to cover the gravel and then start using the snow blower, ensuring
that the height adjusting skids are set properly.- Hide quoted text -

I have been using a 'blower on a big gravel drive for 30 years. Only
problem I have is when it picks up a piece that gets caught between
the auger and housing and jams the machine. Skids set at about 1"
work just fine as long as the gravel drive is reasonably flat withouth
hilles, hummocks, ruts.

When I first moved in here I put in 30 yards of 'topping gravel' (1/2"
minus plus lots of fines). Bladed the drive a few years later and
added another 20. It is now as flat as a paved drive, packed hard and
very ittle difference between a paved one. I do pick up a bit of
gravel from the state highway plowing me in. Other than the 'jamming'
problem (rare) the only bad thing is the noise going through the
chute .

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 9:31*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
With a GRAVEL DRIVEWAY, is there ANY practical method?

Yes, the same options you have with a paved one. Been doign it for 30
years on mine and on the old man's for years prior to that.

Maybe you should look around outside your suburban little house with a
10' drive.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Best Long Term Solution is to move to Hawai'i.
Posted to alt.home.repair

jJim McLaughlin wrote:

HerHusband wrote:

Best Long Term Solution is to move to Hawai'i.

Agreed, however it is also by far the most expensive solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
HerHusband wrote:

[...]

Get a 4WD or AWD vehicle with decent ground clearance and be done with
it. Just drive back and forth a couple times every 6" of snow fall so it
doesn't get too deep between packings. Vehicle doesn't have to be a big
truck or SUV either, most any Subaru also fits the specs and works fine.
Worst you have to do is toss a little sand on the tracks now and then.

That works great until one day, it doesn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HerHusband wrote:

-snip-
Our gravel drive concerns me more than anything. Can these be adjusted
somehow to stay an inch or so above the ground?

Not the single stage blowers. The up side is that they clean right
to the pavement. On your gravel drive you'll get the hang of tilting
it a bit on the first snowfall until all the gravel is frozen in.

The rotor and scraper on the 1800 is plastic. If memory serves the
rotor is about $25 & the scraper about $10. You'll need a big allen
wrench, a Philips head screwdriver, and 20 minutes to change them.
Buy a spare when you buy the machine - or at least be sure the locals
carry them. nobody in NY does.

When half my driveway [probably 75' x 20 and a 20x20 turnaround] was
gravel I used to change mine nearly every year- but I get 100 inches
of snow a year.

From what you say about your snowfall I think you'll be real happy
with the electric.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
HerHusband wrote:

-snip-
Our gravel drive concerns me more than anything. Can these be adjusted
somehow to stay an inch or so above the ground?

Not the single stage blowers. The up side is that they clean right
to the pavement. On your gravel drive you'll get the hang of tilting
it a bit on the first snowfall until all the gravel is frozen in.

The rotor and scraper on the 1800 is plastic. If memory serves the
rotor is about $25 & the scraper about $10. You'll need a big allen
wrench, a Philips head screwdriver, and 20 minutes to change them.
Buy a spare when you buy the machine - or at least be sure the locals
carry them. nobody in NY does.

When half my driveway [probably 75' x 20 and a 20x20 turnaround] was
gravel I used to change mine nearly every year- but I get 100 inches
of snow a year.

From what you say about your snowfall I think you'll be real happy
with the electric.

Jim

Where are you? Tug Hill or other insane snow place?

Posted to alt.home.repair

HerHusband writes:

So, I'd like to hear how others deal with snow that falls erratically,
but can be a big problem when it does?

Well, you said best LONG TERM solution.
This is my favorite.

The DOE has a lot a nuclear waste they'd like to dispose of.
Encase it in cement and bury it under suburban driveways.

You'll never have to shovel again.

As long as you don't sleep in the driveway,
you'll be fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
.. .

-snip-
When half my driveway [probably 75' x 20 and a 20x20 turnaround] was
gravel I used to change mine nearly every year- but I get 100 inches
of snow a year.

Where are you? Tug Hill or other insane snow place?

no way-- 100 inches is just a heavy frost for
Tug hill.g They're over 112 so far this year. Just southwest of
them, near Oswego they got 60" in one 2 day storm this year.

I'm near Schenectady, NY- the 100" number is Albany, our nearest
weather station. We're usually within a few inches of them.
This year we've only gotten about 30 inches so far- I'm not
complaining.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
. ..

-snip-
When half my driveway [probably 75' x 20 and a 20x20 turnaround] was
gravel I used to change mine nearly every year- but I get 100 inches
of snow a year.

Where are you? Tug Hill or other insane snow place?

no way-- 100 inches is just a heavy frost for
Tug hill.g They're over 112 so far this year. Just southwest of
them, near Oswego they got 60" in one 2 day storm this year.

A friend was out near Oswego last year, and took pictures of roads with 10
foot high walls of snow on either side after plowing. Amazing.

I'm near Schenectady, NY- the 100" number is Albany, our nearest
weather station. We're usually within a few inches of them.
This year we've only gotten about 30 inches so far- I'm not
complaining.

Jim

I'm in Rochester. So far, the two worst things have been the drunken plow
driver taking out 4 feet of my lawn, and over the weekend, I ended up with a
4" thick glacier on my driveway. Pure ice, no snow. Pulling into the
driveway was really interesting, even with 4WD. I finally destroyed it
today, using a pitch fork to open channels for the melted water to drain
away. Tomorrow, it starts all over again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SW Washington state. Generally a mild climate, but we're at roughly
1500' elevation so we get more snow than most people around here. For
example, we had 14" of snow Saturday, but just 2-3 miles down the hill
they had nothing. Location is everything.

Just about the same here in SE WA. Can figure on several snow days
every year that will usually be gone in a week. Rare to get more
than 4-6" and really doesn't need clearing except to keep the drive
clear of ruts. I will be out there anytime 3" or more falls though as
I live in the county and the state is so kind they donate all the snow
off of 20' of state highway to my drive. It is keep up with it or
wind up with an impassable berm.

Yep, our driveway is right on the outside curve of the county road, so
when they plow the road it all ends up in our drive. It's usually a wall
of packed snow and ice over two feet high, and takes a metal shovel to
break through it.

Many years ago we had a big snow storm and I walked up to get the mail,
only to discover a wall of snow taller than me! It took a while to dig
our way out that year.

Thankfully, the plow guy this year actually took the time to push the
snow out of our driveway up at the road. Very nice gesture and saved me a
huge amount of work, but I won't count on it next time.

This year is an anomaly. Don't know about over there but here we have
the 4th snowiest year on record so far and looks to be closing in fast
on #3

I don't know how this year compares to past records, but it is definitely
more than we've had in the last 10 years or so, both in quantity and the
length of time it's been falling.

When we bought the property 18 years ago, we used to have lots of snow up
here. Then it seemed like the climate just warmed up and we hadn't had
any significant snow in years. We complained about it every winter. This
year, we got more than we asked for...

When shopping for a 'blower and looking at significant
falls you need a two-stage one.

As you mentioned, this year has been unusual. While it's tempting to go
out and buy the biggest snowblower I can find, I also have to remember
what conditions are normally like. I just don't think I can justify the
expense, maintenance, and storage space for a gas powered snowblower.

I'm still considering a small electric blower, like the Toro 1800, just
to simplify the cleanup of our smaller storms. I just wonder how it would
hold up in deeper snow? I don't mind going slow if it will eventually
clear the way without breaking or burning up. Can't be any slower than
hand shoveling.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Pete,

you're not reading what I said. There are plenty of cars
capable of handling on-road snow just fine.

I'm reading you fine, but I have no interest in buying a new vehicle right
now. We're quite happy with our cars. 350+ days a year the roads are clear
and completely passable. The remaining two weeks aren't enough to make AWD
a significant factor for choosing a car. And even during a snow storm, it's
not an issue once we get down off our hill.

We're VW folks. I've been driving a 1976 Rabbit for the last 18 years, and
had a few Rabbits before that. My wife drives a 1986 Jetta, and has had a
few VW's in the past too. With a good set of all-season tires, we
generally have no problem coming or going. There's just a couple of steep
spots in our driveway that are problematic, and when the snow gets deeper
than the underside of the car it's not so easy going.

We can go anywhere we want to if we chain up, but I'd rather not chain up
just to drive 150 feet out to the road.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

So, I'd like to hear how others deal with snow that falls erratically,
but can be a big problem when it does?

Hire a guy to plow it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HerHusband wrote:

[...]

I developed a trick to prevent that with a snow blower. What you do is
snow blow down the side of the road leading up to your driveway for
about 50', cutting back to the curb and tossing the snow further back.
Then when the plow comes by, whatever it is pushing is dumped in that
leading area and there is nothing left to push into your driveway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HerHusband wrote:

-snip-
I'm still considering a small electric blower, like the Toro 1800, just
to simplify the cleanup of our smaller storms. I just wonder how it would
hold up in deeper snow? I don't mind going slow if it will eventually
clear the way without breaking or burning up. Can't be any slower than
hand shoveling.

I did a 30" snowfall with mine. End of drive was 5' high-- Nice
thing about these is they only weigh 20pounds, so you can lift it to
the top of a snowbank and watch it gobble it all up.

In over a foot of snow, the first pass through the drive is almost
like work. Then you slice off a foot at a time and it goes pretty
quickly. Infinitely better than shoveling. [when you see one of
these little machines tossing wet slush 15 feet from your driveway
you'll be doing a happy dance]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 19:42:09 -0600, HerHusband
wrote:

So, I'd like to hear how others deal with snow that falls erratically,
but can be a big problem when it does?

Thanks,

Anthony

Move it where it doesn't snow; problem solved!!!!

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 4:08*pm, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

The small 'paddle' blowers are fine in light snow falls, useless in
deep snow or in packed snow from what I have seen. Never used one
myselft.
As for the plow berm. If you can't get right at it, even a big gas
blower is almost helpless faced with a huge berm of plowed snow that
has been allowed to settle. They tend to pack down to a dense, if not
frozen, mass.

Others have made the one suggestion other than a blower - hire it done
when needed. Buying a vehicle so you can get out of a drive is not a
very economic idea.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 3:16*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
*"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
.. .

-snip-

When half my driveway [probably 75' x 20 and a 20x20 turnaround] was
gravel I used to change mine nearly every year- but I get 100 inches
of snow a year.

Where are you? Tug Hill or other insane snow place?

no way-- * 100 inches is just a heavy frost for
Tug hill.g * They're over 112 so far this year. * Just southwest of
them, near Oswego they got 60" in one 2 day storm this year.

I'm near Schenectady, NY- the 100" number is Albany, our nearest
weather station. * We're usually within a few inches of them.
This year we've only gotten about 30 inches so far- I'm not
complaining.

Jim

I was in a military trainign program at Syracuse U 1967/68 winter.
Hit with a lake effect snowstorm that closed the city for an entire
week. Parking lot was a smooth, unbroken layer with drifts on top.
Not even car antennas were poking out. We fell out and hand shoveled
out to the city road - almost a 1/4 mile. Shovel until you heard a
clunk, clear a bay, clear around the vehicle, push it into the bay and
continue on.

Was fun then but I wouldn't want to repeat it.

Now that I think back, it may have been my earlier tour which would
have been 65/66.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
-snip-
The small 'paddle' blowers are fine in light snow falls, useless in
deep snow or in packed snow from what I have seen. Never used one
myselft.

Then one wonders what you "have seen". The single stage blowers
are slower in deep [over 1 foot] snow-- but they are far from useless.
And in general they are less prone to clog in wet snow, or snow that
has to be thrown twice, like a deep turnaround.

As for the plow berm. If you can't get right at it, even a big gas
blower is almost helpless faced with a huge berm of plowed snow that
has been allowed to settle. They tend to pack down to a dense, if not
frozen, mass.

Once frozen all bets are off-- but I regularly do a huge plow berm
with both single and 2 stage blowers. The 2 stage has the
advantage of being propelled under power-- the single stage is less
likely to clog.

Others have made the one suggestion other than a blower - hire it done
when needed. Buying a vehicle so you can get out of a drive is not a
very economic idea.

I'm with you on 'buy a car' being a silly idea. For me, the $3-400
for a blower buys a whole lot of independence for the odd times that
snow falls in his part of the world.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

buy a tractor to cut grass, add a plow for snow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim,

I'm still considering a small electric blower, like the Toro 1800,
just to simplify the cleanup of our smaller storms. I just wonder how
it would hold up in deeper snow? I don't mind going slow if it will
eventually clear the way without breaking or burning up. Can't be any
slower than hand shoveling.

I did a 30" snowfall with mine. End of drive was 5' high-- Nice
thing about these is they only weigh 20pounds, so you can lift it to
the top of a snowbank and watch it gobble it all up.

In over a foot of snow, the first pass through the drive is almost
like work. Then you slice off a foot at a time and it goes pretty
quickly. Infinitely better than shoveling. [when you see one of
these little machines tossing wet slush 15 feet from your driveway
you'll be doing a happy dance]

Thanks again for the info on the 1800. I'm thinking I'll probably end up
ordering one, as all the alternatives seem too expensive or just plain
overkill for my needs.

I wish I could run down to the store and see one in person, but I checked
several stores and no one around here carries snow blowers of any kind.
Heck, Home Depot was the only place I could even find a snow shovel in
stock. Obviously, snow is not usually a big problem here.

Assuming the 1800 breaks the first time I use it, is there a place you
recommend for purchasing replacement parts?

Of course, we're heading towards the end of our snow season, so if I do buy
one, it'll probably just sit in the shed till next winter. Bummer.
Knowing my luck, we'll go through another several years of nothing but
dustings.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 5:49*am, " wrote:
buy a tractor to cut grass, add a plow for snow.

Hmmm...now why did it take this long for that to be suggested. Not a
bad solution for light snow areas such as his except for that plow
berm. Dunno how good one of those would be in his area.

When my old (and I do mean oollllddd) 'blower died and I went shopping
early Jan that was what the John Deere dealer suggested (he had no
'blowers). I had been there before 30 years ago with my Bolens.
Found that it worked fine in light snows, useless in any deep ones.
Of course back then the riders were in the 10 hp range. I did have
the tires filled with liquid plus wheel weights plus chains though.
When it comes to plows it is all about traction. where to push it to
also comes up. Plow a couple times and then you are pretty much
screwed unless you pushe the first one way back off the road.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

HerHusband wrote:

Of course, we're heading towards the end of our snow season, so if I do buy
one, it'll probably just sit in the shed till next winter. Bummer.
Knowing my luck, we'll go through another several years of nothing but
dustings.

It's called "insurance", the same thing happens when you get a
generator, you won't have a power failure for several years, even if the
power was out every other day before you bought the generator.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Let it melt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 5:42*pm, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

GORSCH, read thru most of this thread...have pretty much the same
situation....1000 foot elevation, in Oregon, infrequent snow, etc,
except it is downhill to the county road.

As other posters have said.... BFD, buy a set of quick-install diamond
tir chains from Les Schwab. Run down the road a few times during the
storm and immediately after to chop up the snow and keep it driveable.
Put the chains on...takes no more than about 10 minutes once you are
used to it. Drive your 1/4 mile, take the chains off -- takes about
five minutes.

Repeat for the return trip. At 1,000 feet, most years the snow melts
pretty quickly. If it gets too bad, take a snow day or two or call
someone to plow...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 08:11:00 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

On Feb 6, 5:49Â*am, " wrote:
buy a tractor to cut grass, add a plow for snow.

Hmmm...now why did it take this long for that to be suggested. Not a
bad solution for light snow areas such as his except for that plow
berm. Dunno how good one of those would be in his area.

Another idea that has been buzzing in my head. I used to have one of
those mechanical walk behind push lawn mowers that had spiral cutter
blades. It was hard work but good exercise for someone young. The
larger snow throwers use an archimedean screw. Shouldn't it be
possible to have a 5hp to 10 hp gas engine powered unit where one can
replace the snow thrower a-screw with a spiral grass cutter assembly?.
Maybe it will need a different pulley and some extra shielding but
that's no big job.. That way we won't need two separate machines.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think the OP would pass out or die if he had to deal with it snowing
on a daily basis. hey, guy, step up and take care of it and stop
crying here like a girl.

Oh... no... I'm a wimpy girly man... I'm too delicate to shovel snow. Oops,
I broke a nail... I need a hug.

Geez, at six feet and 210 pounds, I'm quite capable of shoveling snow,
thank you very much. And for what it's worth, it's practically been
snowing here on a daily basis since Christmas. And yes, I've been out there
every day shoveling, including four hours last Sunday.

But just because I can, doesn't mean I don't have better things to do with
my time and money.

I'm so glad you responded. I would never have figured it out without YOUR
help. Thank you so much.

I'm feeling faint... Does this forum make me look fat?

Anthony

P.S. I ordered the Toro 1800 today. $297 delivered. Not a huge investment.
Thanks everyone for the information and advice. I appreciate it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Feb 6, 5:49*am, " wrote:
buy a tractor to cut grass, add a plow for snow.

Hmmm...now why did it take this long for that to be suggested. *Not a
bad solution for light snow areas such as his except for that plow
berm. *Dunno how good one of those would be in his area.

Another idea that has been buzzing in my head. *I used to have one of
those mechanical walk behind push lawn mowers that had spiral cutter
blades. *It was hard work but good exercise for someone young. * The
larger snow throwers use an archimedean screw. *Shouldn't it be
possible to have a 5hp to 10 hp gas engine powered unit where one can
replace the snow thrower a-screw with a spiral grass cutter assembly?.
Maybe it will need a different pulley and some extra shielding but
that's no big job.. *That way we won't need two separate machines.

Interesting. I was playing with a 'plug n play' type set up where
just eh head was removed and a 'bush hog' type mower plugged in. Not
all that easy with the current ones as removing the blower head is not
a quick operation.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On Feb 5, 4:08 pm, HerHusband wrote:
SW Washington state. Generally a mild climate, but we're at roughly
1500' elevation so we get more snow than most people around here. For
example, we had 14" of snow Saturday, but just 2-3 miles down the hill

(snip)

As for the plow berm. If you can't get right at it, even a big gas
blower is almost helpless faced with a huge berm of plowed snow that
has been allowed to settle. They tend to pack down to a dense, if not
frozen, mass.

Sore chuckle. I, a couple of hours ago, came close to damaging my
middle-age office-worker body clearing the wall of ice the plow guys
left blocking my driveway. Not deep, only about an 8-inch snowfall over
an inch of ice, so the dam was only about 18" high, and maybe 2 feet
wide. But being almost above freezing, it was totally waterlogged, and
it felt like shoveling wet concrete. I knew it would be frozen solid by
morning, so ignoring it was not an option. I was getting sudden flashes
of how they used to clear ice jams on rivers, to avoid taking out
bridges- dynamite. Too bad you can't buy that in the hardware stores
around here any more... :^/

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 8:52*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Harry K wrote:
[...]

Looking at mch the same problem this morning. It was predicted but I
went to bed praying they were wrong. Snow/wind started about 6 pm
with the snow coming horizontal. I shoveled a path twice to the
woodshed for wood. They said it would turn warm and rain by morning.
It did. I am now faced with a 100'x30' drive covered with drifts and
a plow berm. All wet. After breakfast it will on the 'blower and
work away at it.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
[...]

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

do note running a snowblower is nearly as much work as
shoveling...........
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
-snip-

do note running a snowblower is nearly as much work as
shoveling...........

If all you have is an inch of dry snow, I agree.

If, OTOH, you have more than 6 inches, dry, or 3 inches, wet, I think
you need a new snowblower.

Lessee, walk up and down my driveway 10 times, or shovel several tons?
.. .. I'll take the walk, thankyou. [and I have to walk *up* and
*down* my driveway- a rise of about 15 feet in 150]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 7:42 pm, HerHusband wrote:
We have a gravel driveway, roughly 150 feet long. It's about 12 feet
I've traditionally gone out and shoveled the driveway clear when we've
had snow storms. It wasn't bad when I was younger, but as I get older I

Since you are used to shoveling, consider a Wovel with gravel wheels.
Much safer, and less effort.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
[...]

shoveling...........- Hide quoted text -

?? Not in my experience. Whether the snow is a few inches or a bunch
I have always (even with my old, small blower) finished the drive far
faster than shoveling. That it is work = no argument there. As much
as shoveling? - not even close.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 6:00*pm, Nexus7 wrote:
On Feb 4, 7:42 pm, HerHusband wrote:

We have a gravel driveway, roughly 150 feet long. It's about 12 feet
I've traditionally gone out and shoveled the driveway clear when we've
had snow storms. It wasn't bad when I was younger, but as I get older I

Since you are used to shoveling, consider a Wovel with gravel wheels.
Much safer, and less effort.

You have to be kidding!

I don't have a cite for them but have seen one demonstrated recently.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 9:50*pm, Harry K wrote:
On Feb 7, 6:00*pm, Nexus7 wrote:
Since you are used to shoveling, consider a Wovel with gravel wheels.
Much safer, and less effort.

You have to be kidding!
I don't have a cite for them but have seen one demonstrated recently.

Uh no, I'm not kidding.

You've seen one demonstrated, and what?

'Cause I've moved 12" drifts, and wet heavy snow with one of these,
and that is the reason for my comments.

Have you used one, or are you just armchair babbling?
Posted to alt.home.repair

do note running a snowblower is nearly as much work as
shoveling.

I have always (even with my old, small blower) finished the drive far
faster than shoveling. That it is work = no argument there. As much
as shoveling? - not even close.

For me, it's an issue of time savings as much as the work involved.

For example, last Sunday my wife and I spent four hours shoveling out our
driveway so she could get out for work on Monday. We don't always have that
luxury. Sometimes it'll be completely clear the night before, and we'll
wake up to 6-9" on the ground.

It's not a big deal if I have all day to clear the snow away. But if we
wake up and discover it has snowed, the faster we can get the driveway
cleared the better, or else someone is going to be late for work.

Even with a snowblower, there will be plenty of hand shoveling involved
around the cars, on the walk between the house/garage, etc.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

HerHusband wrote:
wake up and discover it has snowed, the faster we can get the driveway
cleared the better, or else someone is going to be late for work.

If there's 6-9" of fresh snow on the ground in the morning, I'm sure you
or your wife will be far from the only folks a little late to work that
day...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 7:13*am, Nexus7 wrote:
On Feb 7, 9:50*pm, Harry K wrote:

On Feb 7, 6:00*pm, Nexus7 wrote:
Since you are used to shoveling, consider a Wovel with gravel wheels.
Much safer, and less effort.

You have to be kidding!
I don't have a cite for them but have seen one demonstrated recently.

Uh no, I'm not kidding.

You've seen one demonstrated, and what?

'Cause I've moved 12" drifts, and wet heavy snow with one of these,
and that is the reason for my comments.

Have you used one, or are you just armchair babbling?

I believe the post you quoted answered that question. But no, I have
not used one. Have no need to do so and when I have to shovel I will
use something that is not a clumsy abortion.

Harry K