Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Downie Tim Downie is offline

Default Gas leak limit

"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes
If we were talking about LPG, I would worry more but natural gas has a
lower density than air, so it's less inclined to lurk.

Checked your roof space recently? ;-)

LPG is very dangerous on boats as they tend to be gas tight and there have
been some very big bangs.

We were holidaying on a boat on the Norfolk Broads a few years back when
the cooker stopped working. Boatyard sent someone out to fix it and we
carried on... until I realised the inside was increasingly smelling of
rotten cabbage. Very fast mooring and evacuation followed. The boatyard
offered us compensation without us asking.

Serious question, why can't you get bottled natural gas specifically for use
on boats? Given that boat makers can't use the ideal solution (i.e. drill
holes in the bottom to let the gas out), it would seem immensely sensible to
use a lighter than air gas on board boats.

Tim

--
Si