Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

Default Toilet leaks at base.

jim wrote:
On Feb 6, 11:07 pm, wrote:
Our toilet leaks at the base and rots the wood floor. We've pulled it
twice now, cleaned the junction, replaced the wax ring, and reseated
it. It still leaked. Now we've had the wood floor repaired from the
water damage, and I don't want this to occur again.

Any advice?

The pvc fitting on the floor is a bit strange, it has an offset. Is
that common? The foundation is concrete, so I can't exactly replace
this, but I blame this for the fact that this toilet seems to get
clogged a lot. The fitting is also not perfectly level, could that be
the problem?

Are there special wax rings that might help prevent this problem?

Three Pictures (the resudue is from the wood floor repair, I have
cleaned the junction well before reseating the toilet in the past):

http://picasaweb.google.com/funkymon...oto#5164051643...

http://picasaweb.google.com/funkymon...oto#5164051647...

http://picasaweb.google.com/funkymon...oto#5164051647...

Double up on the wax ring or get a toilet flange extension.

I second that - not many DIYers know that you can use 2 rings!