Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] bendixaviation@yahoo.com is offline

Default Help on IBM Selectric I Needed

I recently picked up an IBM Selectric I at a goodwill for a whopping
$5. For the most part it is working ok. It has one weird flaw (or at
least weird to me). When you press the space bar nothing happens for a
few seconds. Then the carriage moves forward a space. Same thing with
the tab and backspace keys. The return key has the same problem.
Although it takes about 30 seconds to do anything. Is this anything I
can fix myself? I had an IBM Selectric II a while ago. I only ever
lubed it once, although it was IBM oil that came with it when I bought
it used, therefore I wouldn't know what to get to service this one.

One more question. I'm pretty sure that this selectric has the cloth
reusable ribbon. What does it mean by "reusable" and is there any way
I can reuse it? It is printing fine now, only a tad faded. But still
perfectly readable.
Thanks
Alex