Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK) Ron(UK) is offline

Default Whirlpool dryer heater failure

James Sweet wrote:
"Ron(UK)" wrote in message
Seán O'Leathlóbhair wrote:

I am in the UK where things are a little different. The supply is
230V (*) only. I expect that both the motor and the heater run
directly from it. Of course, a similar problem of this sort could
still be the explanation.

I should manage the test and survive. As a kid, I repaired old valve
TVs with live chassis. They rectified the 240VAC (*) supply and hence
ran at 340VDC. You would get a nasty shock if you were not very
careful.

(*) Not a mistake, the UK standard used to be 240V. Most of the rest
of Europe was 220V and we compromised on 230V. I think that the
tolerance of the new standard was large enough that nothing really
needed to change.

Indeed, you`ll find that most places in the UK still get a healthy 240
volts.
Ron(UK)

A friend of mine in Manchester monitored his line voltage for a few days. It
dropped as low as 223 and went as high as 249, I dunno what the allowable
range is but that struck me as quite a wide variation.

It`s 245 at the moment here, according to a fluke 77. slightly lower
according to a nondescript chinese 'yellow' cheapy

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems