Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Removing Snow From Driveway - Best Long Term Solution?

On Feb 5, 4:08*pm, HerHusband wrote:
SW Washington state. Generally a mild climate, but we're at roughly
1500' elevation so we get more snow than most people around here. For
example, we had 14" of snow Saturday, but just 2-3 miles down the hill
they had nothing. Location is everything.

Just about the same here in SE WA. *Can figure on several snow days
every year that will usually be gone in a week. *Rare to get more
than 4-6" *and really doesn't need clearing except to keep the drive
clear of ruts. *I will be out there anytime 3" or more falls though as
I live in the county and the state is so kind they donate all the snow
off of 20' of state highway to my drive. *It is keep up with it or
wind up with an impassable berm.

Yep, our driveway is right on the outside curve of the county road, so
when they plow the road it all ends up in our drive. It's usually a wall
of packed snow and ice over two feet high, and takes a metal shovel to
break through it.

Many years ago we had a big snow storm and I walked up to get the mail,
only to discover a wall of snow taller than me! It took a while to dig
our way out that year.

Thankfully, the plow guy this year actually took the time to push the
snow out of our driveway up at the road. Very nice gesture and saved me a
huge amount of work, but I won't count on it next time.

This year is an anomaly. *Don't know about over there but here we have
the 4th snowiest year on record so far and looks to be closing in fast
on #3

I don't know how this year compares to past records, but it is definitely
more than we've had in the last 10 years or so, both in quantity and the
length of time it's been falling.

When we bought the property 18 years ago, we used to have lots of snow up
here. Then it seemed like the climate just warmed up and we hadn't had
any significant snow in years. We complained about it every winter. This
year, we got more than we asked for...

When shopping for a 'blower and looking at significant
falls you need a two-stage one.

As you mentioned, this year has been unusual. While it's tempting to go
out and buy the biggest snowblower I can find, I also have to remember
what conditions are normally like. I just don't think I can justify the
expense, maintenance, and storage space for a gas powered snowblower.

I'm still considering a small electric blower, like the Toro 1800, just
to simplify the cleanup of our smaller storms. I just wonder how it would
hold up in deeper snow? I don't mind going slow if it will eventually
clear the way without breaking or burning up. Can't be any slower than
hand shoveling.

Anthony

The small 'paddle' blowers are fine in light snow falls, useless in
deep snow or in packed snow from what I have seen. Never used one
myselft.
As for the plow berm. If you can't get right at it, even a big gas
blower is almost helpless faced with a huge berm of plowed snow that
has been allowed to settle. They tend to pack down to a dense, if not
frozen, mass.

Others have made the one suggestion other than a blower - hire it done
when needed. Buying a vehicle so you can get out of a drive is not a
very economic idea.

Harry K