Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Goulds water pump excessive cycling

On Feb 5, 7:22*pm, "Eric Scantlebury"
wrote:
"EXT" wrote in message

anews.com...

Air leaked out of tank: bad fill valve. OR Leak in bladder: water filled
the air half of the tank behind the bladder.

So how does one test for this? *The tank, when the pump has cycled to it's
normal 60 lbs high point, has 36 lbs of pressure at the air valve. *I've
read a little about this and apparently it should read 4 lbs less than the
low kick in win no water. *Does the 36 lbs translate to anything non drained
and fully preasurized?

You are checking your pre-charge at the wrong time. Correct is to
totally drain the tank, and set the pre-charge to 2 psi below the cut
in
pressure. Then turn pump back on.

I find it more than passing strange that the guage is reading 60 psi
but checking at the air valve only shows 36 psi. There is something
more than odd there, I would have said impossible prior to your post.
There should be no difference between the guage and air valve...well,
other than instrument vagaries.

Cause of pump short cycling can, in almost all cases, be traced to the
pre-charge (incorrect), a malfunctioning pressure switch (not all that
common), a water logged tank caused by a blown bladder or diaphragm.

If it is the bladder or diaphragm, I believe it was dpb who gave a
possible short-term fix for it but tank replacement is the proper
cure.

Harry K