Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Removing Snow From Driveway - Best Long Term Solution?

HerHusband wrote:

SW Washington state. Generally a mild climate, but we're at roughly
1500' elevation so we get more snow than most people around here. For
example, we had 14" of snow Saturday, but just 2-3 miles down the hill
they had nothing. Location is everything.

Just about the same here in SE WA. Can figure on several snow days
every year that will usually be gone in a week. Rare to get more
than 4-6" and really doesn't need clearing except to keep the drive
clear of ruts. I will be out there anytime 3" or more falls though as
I live in the county and the state is so kind they donate all the snow
off of 20' of state highway to my drive. It is keep up with it or
wind up with an impassable berm.

Yep, our driveway is right on the outside curve of the county road, so
when they plow the road it all ends up in our drive. It's usually a wall
of packed snow and ice over two feet high, and takes a metal shovel to
break through it.

I developed a trick to prevent that with a snow blower. What you do is
snow blow down the side of the road leading up to your driveway for
about 50', cutting back to the curb and tossing the snow further back.
Then when the plow comes by, whatever it is pushing is dumped in that
leading area and there is nothing left to push into your driveway.